rear wiper motor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 09:57   #1 (permalink)

rear wiper motor

My rear wiper motor has died on my 2003 Explorer. Has anyone ever replaced one themselves?
thegooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 20:06   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: rear wiper motor

Did you check the fuse first?

If the fuse is OK, I can say that I've never heard of anyone having to replace a rear wiper motor on any vehicle. The problem that I do hear about, is finding replacement rear wiper blades at lower than dealer prices.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 15:33   #3 (permalink)

My wifes rear wiper stopped working on an 06 Explorer Limited. I checked the fuses under the instrument panel box as well as the engine compartment, both were good. Next I checked to mak sure there was power at the rear wiper motor connection, that check good. I think I may have a moter that has seized up as I can't rotate the wiper arm at all. So I proceed to unbolt the moter from the rear window glass, but the motor is stuck and will not come off the window. I unbolted with wiper arm, pulled the wiper arm off thinking that the motor shaft would slide out of the hole in the glass. Nope. So there must be something holding the motor shaft to the glass, perhaps a nut under the plastic cover on the outside of the glass.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 19:46   #4 (permalink)

Got it figured out today and figured I post up on how I removed the wiper motor in case someone else has a similar issue. Once you remove the wiper arm, there is a plastic boot that is removable, and under that is a lock nut that locks down on the window. Remove that lock nut and then remove two bolts on the inside of the wiper assembley and then you can pull the motor shaft through the glass.

The reason mine was not working as it was full of crime in the shaft that the wiper arm attaches to. Motor worked fine. Had to pound out the shaft with a punch, PB blaster and dremmel with with a small wire wheel an I was able to clean out the outter tube. I could not beleive how much dirt came out of the tube. Lube it up with white litho grease, put it all back togther, and works now. Saved $350 (est from local ford dealer to replace and that didn't include labor).

Wife is happy again.
Svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 20:29   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's a great write-up. Thanks for the update.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator