Sharp noise from the front wheel ('07 explorer) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 19:35   #1 (permalink)

mad Sharp noise from the front wheel ('07 explorer)

Hi there, my first post here. I had an accident a year ago on the drive side front wheel. After it's out of the shop, there's some noise from the wheel occasionally at low speed, say, < 20mph. The noise goes off when the brake pedal is pressed. At first it's not very loud and it didn't come all the time. The dealers cannot tell what the problem is. Then it's getting louder and louder. It sounds like some friction between metals, but no damage is observed from outside... Just wonder if anyone knows what may be the cause. I feel like it's more often to happen in hot weathers...

Thanks a lot!
SanJoseGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
Harder

Re: Sharp noise from the front wheel ('07 explorer)

I could be stating the obvious, but it coud be something as simple as the dust shield for your brake rotor rubbing but someone at the shop should have seen that...should. Hate to say it because I'm a collision tech but some in my trade are not the most clean. Could have contaminated the pads or rotor with grease or dirt. Any shaking or pulsing? Also sometimes a good wreck can mess your wheel bearing. What did they replace during the repair?
Cat in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 14:10   #3 (permalink)

Re: Sharp noise from the front wheel ('07 explorer)

Thank you, Cat. I think they only replaced the wheel. The driving is fine, no shaking or pulsing. The noise only comes out at low speed. Once a mechanic said it may be because of the dust inside somewhere...pardon me, I don't know much about cars :( He cleaned it but the noise is still there. Maybe I should consider changing the wheel bearing?
SanJoseGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator