Ford Forums banner

start up problem

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  lolo 
#1 ·
i have a 2001 sport trac. i am having a problem getting it to start, especially when it is cold. it will turn over but not catch. if i press the accelerator all the way to the floor and hold it then it will start. i then have to keep it there for a while or it will die. once i drive it awhile then i have no problem starting it. could this be the timing chain or fuel pump. i really need some help

#2 ·
It sounds like you IAC ( idle air control) valve is stuck not allowing air in the engine causing it to stall. Seen it quite a few times in the shop. also how many miles do you have on the truck? The intake gaskets are also probably bad. The O rings over time become brittle and don't seal so when you start it in the morning the engine has a big vacuum leak, and runs ruff.

#5 ·
hi oogtr1, thanks for the advice. you were right it was the IAC, so the took care of that problem. also the fuel injection system needed cleaning and put in a new fuel filter. the total was $705. now the truck runs and starts ok. i am so glad you gave me the answer. i am glad for this forum. for a long time i could hear a loud whistling whenever i started the truck and it stopped when the engine warmed up. after this work that sound is gone. so i guess that what was causing the sound all along. again thanks.

lolo

#7 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but you spent $705.00 to have the Idol Air Control Valve and Fuel Filter changed??? As well as the fuel injection system cleaned???

If so you got RIPPED OFF BIG TIME!!!!

Motorcraft Filter: $11.99
Idol Air Control Valve: $39.99

You would've been better off running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through your system to clean the injectors.

Your $705.00 bill could've been done for under $100.00

#11 ·
Hey lolo I'm a ford technician Sorry to hear that it cause that much to fix your problem. What Else did they do? how much was the labor rate? I personally never try to sell an injector flush or any kind or other flush because they never fix a problem or prevent a problem. Fuels to today that u put in your truck have detergents that help keep injectors clean so all that other stuff is BS. We at Ford (especially my dealership) are trying to change the customers perception that dealerships are expensive. and what happen to u doesn't help. But I promise u nobody knows your vehicle better than a ford tech and FOMOCO. Where do u think all these other shops take their fords when they can't fix them! I agree there are some dealerships are better than others and sometimes its trial and error. thanks.

#12 ·
this is what i had done at the ford dealership:tune-up-127.95, fuel system service-159.95, replace fuel filter-59.95, system test and replaced iac 142.67. the total bill-272.38 for parts, 430.15 for labor, 16.79 for tax and 15%for gift card from ford and 14.06 service adjustment was deducted. i hope that all dealers do something about the high price. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.