start up problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 10:11   #1 (permalink)

start up problem

i have a 2001 sport trac. i am having a problem getting it to start, especially when it is cold. it will turn over but not catch. if i press the accelerator all the way to the floor and hold it then it will start. i then have to keep it there for a while or it will die. once i drive it awhile then i have no problem starting it. could this be the timing chain or fuel pump. i really need some help
lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 15:37   #2 (permalink)
00gtr1

Re: start up problem

It sounds like you IAC ( idle air control) valve is stuck not allowing air in the engine causing it to stall. Seen it quite a few times in the shop. also how many miles do you have on the truck? The intake gaskets are also probably bad. The O rings over time become brittle and don't seal so when you start it in the morning the engine has a big vacuum leak, and runs ruff.
00gtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 18:12   #3 (permalink)

thanks 00gtrl, i have about 75,000 miles on the truck. tomorrow i will take it to ford dealership. i hope this doesn't cost a lot of money. lol. it probably will.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:12   #4 (permalink)
00gtr1

lolo what did the dealership find?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:54   #5 (permalink)

hi oogtr1, thanks for the advice. you were right it was the IAC, so the took care of that problem. also the fuel injection system needed cleaning and put in a new fuel filter. the total was $705. now the truck runs and starts ok. i am so glad you gave me the answer. i am glad for this forum. for a long time i could hear a loud whistling whenever i started the truck and it stopped when the engine warmed up. after this work that sound is gone. so i guess that what was causing the sound all along. again thanks.

lolo
Old 01-31-2007, 12:38   #6 (permalink)
00gtr1

Glad to help
Old 02-01-2007, 17:05   #7 (permalink)

Correct me if I'm wrong but you spent $705.00 to have the Idol Air Control Valve and Fuel Filter changed??? As well as the fuel injection system cleaned???

If so you got RIPPED OFF BIG TIME!!!!

Motorcraft Filter: $11.99
Idol Air Control Valve: $39.99

You would've been better off running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through your system to clean the injectors.

Your $705.00 bill could've been done for under $100.00
GJSmackdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 13:53   #8 (permalink)

i guess this is a case of live and learn because that is what they charge me.thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-2007, 15:08   #9 (permalink)

Yea anytime you need work done check with either a local garage or do it yourself. Ford will rape you for everything they can.
GJSmackdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 20:07   #10 (permalink)

itis funny, i thought ford would be the better place to take careof the problem. i will never do that again. they are probably laughing at this idiot. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator