Ford Forums banner

Thumping Noise

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jerry345 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Explorer that is making a thumping sound in the compartment that houses the rear air conditioner blower. The compartment is located in the left rear panel behind the left rear wheel. It makes the noise when the air conditioner and/or blower is off or on. Is the fuel pump located in this area? With the AC off, the engine off and the key turned on there is a humming sound that is interrupted at a regular interval (about 1 second) by the thumping noise. Can anyone provide any assistance? Is there some place that I can go to find the applicable section of a service manual on line, or will I have to go to the dealership?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
BillH said:
I have a 2002 Explorer that is making a thumping sound in the compartment that houses the rear air conditioner blower. The compartment is located in the left rear panel behind the left rear wheel. It makes the noise when the air conditioner and/or blower is off or on. Is the fuel pump located in this area? With the AC off, the engine off and the key turned on there is a humming sound that is interrupted at a regular interval (about 1 second) by the thumping noise. Can anyone provide any assistance? Is there some place that I can go to find the applicable section of a service manual on line, or will I have to go to the dealership?

Thanks in advance.
I have experienced the same symptoms today with my rear AC. I removed the side panel an found the thumping noise is coming from the blower housing that also houses the refrigerant coil. cannot determine what is causing the thumping noise, Hopefully someone on this forum can provide some advice.

#3 ·
BillH said:

Thanks in advance.
The problem you are experiencing is either a failed diversion motor or a temperature bypass motor. these control dampers in the rear ac compartment. The motors are easily accessible by removing the side pannel. To access the motors the Plastic fan and coil housing can be pulled out of the way to expose the two motors after removing three bolts.The motors cost between 60 and 70 dollars at a dealership. I was told by one dealer that the ac would need to be disconnect and recharged to in order to replace the motor, this is not true there is enough room to replace them without removing any hoses.
I just finished removing the motor in my explorer its not that difficult . The local ford dealer estimate was $500.00
Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.