Tie Rod Loose - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 18:17   #1 (permalink)

Tie Rod Loose

I just had the upper and lower ball joints replaced on my 1995 Ford Explorer, well needles to say they did not replace the tie rods or any other part besides the joints.... Today I borrowed a friend grease gun to grease the joints (because of noise) and noticed that the tie rods that goes up and down that ties into the sway bar has play in it like it is loose I can fiscally move it up and down.. I tried to tighten it down but am unable to it will not tighten anymore... Is this normal? Is the rod supposed to have this play? TIA Steve
Non-Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009, 18:20   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Tie Rod Loose

It's supposed to twist around but not have up and down play. I would get it replaced before it lets go.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 14:18   #3 (permalink)

Thx for the reply, sorry I did not get back to you last night, I wanted to take a picture of what I am talking about because I did not think I said the correct part... So here it goes, this part as you can see is what I am talking about, it will not tighten down any further and I know this is not the way it is supposed to be, I have crawled under my vehicle many times and this is not the way it is supposed to look...

Right side
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...g?t=1252267657

Left side
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...g?t=1252268033

As you can see the bottom of the left side the bushing is tight again the A Frame, the right is not... Both have a gap at the top where it attaches to the sway bar.... TIA
Old 09-06-2009, 14:24   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

They should be tight like the bottom one in the left side picture.

Last edited by jwko; 09-06-2009 at 14:25.
Old 09-06-2009, 16:38   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
They should be tight like the bottom one in the left side picture.
Right I agree but it will not tighten down any further.... Shouldn't the mechanic have changed out these when he replaced the ball joints? It is part of a kit... I paid the guy $600 for the work? I can get the entire kit for $150 off of eBay.... Thx again
Old 09-06-2009, 17:02   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Mechanic View Post
Right I agree but it will not tighten down any further.... Shouldn't the mechanic have changed out these when he replaced the ball joints? It is part of a kit... I paid the guy $600 for the work? I can get the entire kit for $150 off of eBay.... Thx again

Normally a mechanic would not include this with ball joint replacement. But he should have told you they needed replacement.

150 bucks? That's high. 10 bucks each side from Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto. They have a code in our supporting vendor section that will save you an extra 5% on your order. RockAuto Discount Code

Old 09-06-2009, 18:36   #7 (permalink)

I am talking about a complete kit like this one both sides...
Control Arm Ball Joint TIE ROD SET Ford EXPLORER 95-97:eBay Motors (item 350238774946 end time Sep-10-09 04:09:17 PDT)

If it where less then he raped me at $60 an hour for labor.... Only take 4 or less hours to install, already researched.....

Thanks again
Old 09-06-2009, 18:52   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

If you already had the ball joints replaced, why buy a kit with new control arms with ball joints? From looking at the pics and what you described, the sway bar links is all that you need to replace.
Old 09-06-2009, 19:52   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
If you already had the ball joints replaced, why buy a kit with new control arms with ball joints? From looking at the pics and what you described, the sway bar links is all that you need to replace.
No, I am saying that the kit costs $150 - $600 = $450 for labor which equals 7.5 hours of labor.. The links should have been replaced, I paid him to put and entire new front end on which are included in the kit, not pieces...

Thx for your help
Old 09-06-2009, 20:47   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-Mechanic View Post
No, I am saying that the kit costs $150 - $600 = $450 for labor which equals 7.5 hours of labor.. The links should have been replaced, I paid him to put and entire new front end on which are included in the kit, not pieces...

Thx for your help
I understand now. Looking at the pics, it appears there are NO new outer tie rod ends, inner tie rid ends, sway bar links and possibly upper control arms installed. I wonder if new ball joints were installed..Can you post some pics of the joints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator