Torque Convertor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08   #1 (permalink)

frown Torque Convertor

HI Have 1999 Ford Explorer and engine runs like a dream, gears go in ok but then engine dies and cannot drive been told torque convertor?? please someone suggest
jamangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 05:58   #2 (permalink)
fordmech

Re: Torque Convertor

Hi
There are 2 issues I've come across regarding torque converters on Explorers. One is the solenoid that engages/disengages the converter fails, and the second is the torque converter clutch fails internally. Both of these will make your Overdrive light flash at some stage and will leave very specific codes in the control module. The effect of a converter that stays engaged all the time is similar to pressing the brakes in a car with a manual transmission that's still in gear, car stalls. Because most converter clutches only engage in top gear and above a certain speed, you can probably drive your car without stalling if you turn the Overdrive off. Hook up a scanner to the car and see what codes come up and go from there. Post the codes here if you want more info. cheers

marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:33   #3 (permalink)

Hi Mark thanks for taking the time to answer my thread have sorted that one now have developed a stutter around 35 45 ph everything else seems??? ok but now im stuck again have ordered new plugs and will change the tommorow so any suggestions will be very helpful regars jamangie
Old 07-23-2007, 12:34   #4 (permalink)

and also meant to say duel fuel and going to gas man tommorow also
Old 07-24-2007, 05:25   #5 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi
So you're running a dual fuel setup? Well, if the problem happens regardless of which fuel you selected, I would suspect the ignition system (leads, plugs and coil, in that order). If it only happens on petrol more than likely it will be blocked injectors or filter (petrol crystalizes inside the injectors if you never use them) and if it happens only on gas check for air and vacuum leaks or dirt inside one of the jets of the converter. Is there an engine light on? How many miles has this car done?
marc
Old 07-24-2007, 13:20   #6 (permalink)

hI mARC WELL TODAY HAD NEW PLUGS AND WOULD U BELIEVE SHE IS NOW PURRING AT ME U OBVOUSLY KNOW YOUR EXPLORER AND YES SHE IS DUEL FUEL AND WAS DOING IT IN BOTH SO I AM A VERY HAPPY CHAPPIE ( LADY ACTUALLY BUT THAT DOESNT RHYME LOL ) THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER ME
Old 07-24-2007, 13:22   #7 (permalink)

Also Must Tell Gas Man A Waste Of Time All He Wanted To Do Was Sell Me New System ( If Not Broken Dont Fix It Yes ) So Found Another One And Will Take It Next Week Now Its Running Ok On Both
Old 07-25-2007, 01:51   #8 (permalink)
fordmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamangie
hI mARC WELL TODAY HAD NEW PLUGS AND WOULD U BELIEVE SHE IS NOW PURRING AT ME U OBVOUSLY KNOW YOUR EXPLORER AND YES SHE IS DUEL FUEL AND WAS DOING IT IN BOTH SO I AM A VERY HAPPY CHAPPIE ( LADY ACTUALLY BUT THAT DOESNT RHYME LOL ) THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER ME
No worries!!

marc
Old 08-03-2007, 04:41   #9 (permalink)

Hi Mark now have new prob Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh want change over to gas and light has gone out on little gas display thing
Old 08-03-2007, 05:08   #10 (permalink)
fordmech

Ah? You totally lost me !!! LOL
Can you re-phrase the thingy that doesn't work for me, please. :)
marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator