Ford Forums banner

Tranny clunk and AC problems

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  KU40 
#1 ·
I have a '98 Explorer 4.0L V6. Usually when I slow down to stop, like at a red light, the tranny will give a bit of a clunk sound at about 5 mph. I assume this is when it shifts into neutral. Could that be a torque converter clutch, or what do you think?

The second issue is the AC, which just doesn't get very cold. The normal AC is just cool enough to keep the sweat off you but isn't very comfortable. I usually put it on max and after about 10 minutes it's cycled through enough to get the air in the truck somewhat comfortable, though it's still not cold. I know AC problems are really hard to diagnose in a forum because you don't know if there's a leak, but I assume it still has at least some coolant in there if it's getting a little bit cool, just not cold. But I didn't know if there was something that might restrict the total cold effects of the system from working on the air or what.

thanks in advance

#2 ·
I had both the same issues with my 95 Explorer.

Tranny-most likely shot. If you take it to anyone they will probably tell you the same. I had a Jasper Trans. put in. 3yr 36,000 mile warranty. Any problems I dont pay a dime.

AC-Leak in your system somewhere. Only way to find it would be to have a tech look at it and go from there. Mine was doing what you described and I had a leak in the bottom of the AC Accumulator.($96 from Ford) Total was $336.00 to diagnois the problem, labor, parts, and recharge.

#8 ·
Well they put in a bit of freon in the AC today but they couldn't find a leak. I suppose that's nicer on the bank account. but they found out that the clunk is actually my rearend (apparently my ears don't work so well when trying to pinpoint the location of noises when I'm sticking my head out the window as I'm driving) and is because the gears have a little play in them. quoted me about 700 for a new one. yikes, guess I'll just ride her till she totally gives out, which hopefully won't be too soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.