Tranny replacement on V8 Explorer AWD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 21:08   #1 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

Tranny replacement on V8 Explorer AWD

Tranny is bad I thought it might be transfer case but the tranny pan and filter tell it all. Metal chunks all over in the pan. We have it almost ready to come out Is there any tricks to getting it out and back in? We had to replace the intake and that has helped get the top bolts off the bell housing while being apart didn't plan it that way but it works out great. I am picking up a used tranny for $300 at the junk yard they are pulling the tranny pan to verify the tranny to be free of metal before I buy it. What tranny fluid type is required in the AWD tranny and transfer case? I bought this for $500 and it is in pretty good shape brand mew tires new front axel new front wheel bearings and rear shackles too. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
joscibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 08:33   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Tranny replacement on V8 Explorer AWD

I'm not familiar with the install for your vehicle. I'd be more cautious about rust and how long the transmission has been sitting stockpiled for. Some yards don't properly wrap their parts (at a minimum) to seal them from moisture buildup/rust. Good yards offer a warranty, even if its 30 days for part guarantee only - not labour. Pick a parts can also be left sitting for prolonged periods and can cause similar problems. It's good to ask when a vehicle/part came in, or was disassembled.

Without a vehicle year I can't give fluid specifics. ATF (use a synthetic) is used in the transmission. Transfer cases vary from manufacturer. My Dodge uses ATF, as most do, however, some transfer cases require the use of a light gear oil, or engine oil.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 18:43   #3 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
I'm not familiar with the install for your vehicle. I'd be more cautious about rust and how long the transmission has been sitting stockpiled for. Some yards don't properly wrap their parts (at a minimum) to seal them from moisture buildup/rust. Good yards offer a warranty, even if its 30 days for part guarantee only - not labour. Pick a parts can also be left sitting for prolonged periods and can cause similar problems. It's good to ask when a vehicle/part came in, or was disassembled.

Without a vehicle year I can't give fluid specifics. ATF (use a synthetic) is used in the transmission. Transfer cases vary from manufacturer. My Dodge uses ATF, as most do, however, some transfer cases require the use of a light gear oil, or engine oil.
I will be using a Schaeffer Oil tranny fluid for both transfer case and tranny they both call for ATF. The explorer has been there since summer hasn't been taken out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
joscibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator