Transmission metal parts - 5 speed automatic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 03:32   #1 (permalink)

Transmission metal parts - 5 speed automatic

I did a trasmmission fluild and filter change. On my 1999 X, It went well but in the fluild were small metal bearing like pieces. Size about 3 mm diameter and 2,5 mm height. (Like tiny size pills, 8 in total) The transmmssion is fine but just thought to change the fluild!! Yayks What I don't know - now I know!

Also the handbook says almost 10 liters capacity of ATF, but when I dropped the pan and filter I only expelled about 3 - 3.5 liters. So only added the same amount in refilling.

The vehicle has 120,000 kms.

What to do in these two instances? Thanks for your advice.

ps added better picture

SOLVED THE MYSTERY - IT'S FROM THE AUTO TRANS GASKET, THEY FELL IN WHILE REMOVING THE THING!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg metal find.jpg (39.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg extras after ATF change!.jpg (48.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by BHAGAT; 09-29-2009 at 07:10. Reason: add picture of metal pieces
BHAGAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 09:15   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Transmission metal parts - 5 speed automatic

I've never seen those pieces as far as I know. Hard to tell. Can you get little closer shot? As far as the fluid, the torque convertor and cooler hold a lot of fluid and they don't drain with the filter and pan. There is a way to drain it by disconnecting the cooler line and running the engine until it quits pumping. I don't know if you want to do that.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:50   #3 (permalink)

I found out the metal was from the auto trans gasket!!! So be carful if you reuse the gasket although that is not recommended.
BHAGAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:08   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Those gaskets are supposed to be able to be reused to a certain extent. When they get to those showing, it better be replaced. Thanks for the update.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator