Ford Forums banner

transmission repair questions 2002 XLT

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Fixorrepairdly 
#1 ·
2002 Explorer XLT, V8. 104,047 original owner miles

Transmission problem symptoms for about 20 miles before tow to dealer:
late upshifts - engine at 3,000 rpm and holding there even under light acceleration or no acceleration at all for many seconds before it finally upshifts. Then jerky up-shifts.

Overdrive light flashing rapidly.

Ford dealer service advisor says they pulled codes for “slipping” and when they dropped pan found metal shavings indicating internal damage. They don't want to do any further diagnosis and tell me that an in-shop tear down and rebuild would cost same as installing a factory rebuilt transmission but a factory rebuilt comes with a 3 year 75,000 warranty. Estimate is $2820 for the rebuilt transmission; $700 - 800 labor. Will take about 1 week.

Questions:

1. Does the diagnosis seem on the up and up? I don't want to buy the full boat if it's really just something like a solenoid or computer module, but they got the rig and the computer and I'm not a mechanic. I know these 2002-2004 tranmissions have a lousy reputation, but this rig has been well-maintained and never abused or driven with a heavy foot. Last trans service and flush / change was done at this dealer 10,000 miles ago.

2. Why would Ford give a better warranty on a rebuilt than they do with the original rig ( 3 years, 36,000 miles)?

3. Does the price for the factory rebuilt route sound right?

4. Any other suggestions? I'd ditch the thing but it's worth zip in its present condition.

See less See more
#6 ·
I got a quote to have my trans rebuilt and modified with upgrade parts for under $2 grand out the door. It is a MultiState transmission shop that has done quite a bit of work for me. :hy:

#7 ·
Mine was doing the same thing and had to install a used tranny from a wrecked Explorer. Ford had one type of trannys they used in Explorers and Taurus that are known for being junk. Best thing is to just replace the tranny but follow others advice and look around for best price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.