Trouble Starting In the Morning - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 05:55   #1 (permalink)

Trouble Starting In the Morning

I own a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. I am having problems starting it mainly first thing in the morning. Very rarely does it happen during the day. The engine turns easily but unless I give it some gas it will die almost immediately. Even sometimes when I let off the gas, the engine will sound like it's rumbling and then slowly die. It seems like I can onl;y keep it started when I give it some gas for atleast 10 seconds or so.

I have already replaced the MAF sensor and the IAC valve. I have yet to clean the throttle body, but I am doing that this weekend. Autozone has already confirmed my battery and my alternator is good.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what might be the problem? I was pretty certain it was the IAC, but then I had trouble starting it the next morning after I replace it. There also does not seem to be any loose or broken hoses...

Jeff
reyrey1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 08:34   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Trouble Starting In the Morning

Have you checked for any codes? Did you replace the MAF and IAC for this problem and it made no improvement?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53   #3 (permalink)

Yes, I already replaced the MAF and IAC. Those were the codes that AutoZone told me were coming up. Still having the same problem though...

Could it be the throttle position sensor?
reyrey1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:22   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you unplug the IAC does it idle just a little low? That would be normal. Have you checked the engine vacuum at idle? Should be around 21".
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator