UT, UX and UZ Explorers vs UP Explorer - suspension and chasis changes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 18:32   #1 (permalink)
Newbie #10458632

Question UT, UX and UZ Explorers vs UP Explorer - suspension and chasis changes

I currently have a 1998 UP Explorer XT (manual 4.0L OHV V6, bottom of the range model), it's been a good value for money vehicle, and I've generally been happy with it, and recently surprised by it's 4WD capabilities.
It's my family's spare car and it's real main usage is for towing and launching the boat.
Looking to upgrade now however, as would like to do some traveling and a larger 4WD wagon would be prefered. Currently looking at the UT, UX and UZ Explorers as these were the last models imported into Australia, and looking specifically only at the V8 Limited models as I want the luxury interior and the extra performance power.

What I'm chasing is information regarding the significant chasis and suspension changes from second generation Explorer (e.g. the UP that I currently have) to the third generation (the UT, UX and UZ's that I'm looking at).
From what I understand with the third generation the chasis is no longer shared with the Ford Ranger, and has changed from live-axel to independent rear suspension. Is the front suspension still torsion bars or is it now coil springs all around? Is this suspension more orientated for on the road performance rather than off road? Any improvements or negatives that the new suspension setup causes for off road driving?
What about the vehicles ground clearance? It looks as though this has been reduced, however, that might just be a visual illusion from the larger chunkier looking body as I believe it's not larger wheels (16") as oppposed to the old 15". If it is lower I guess a set of riased coil springs isn't too hard to install.
Is there still bash plates under the vehicle to protect the components?
Any changes in the 4WD system (from what I understand the Limited models have a factory standard LSD in the rear were my UP XT doesn't, so that should be an improvement to it's capabilities)?
twr7cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 10:05   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: UT, UX and UZ Explorers vs UP Explorer - suspension and chasis changes

Ford Explorer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You can alsp get a lot of information here but come back here too. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/
Old 01-21-2011, 01:25   #3 (permalink)
Newbie #10458632

Re: UT, UX and UZ Explorers vs UP Explorer - suspension and chasis changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Ford Explorer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You can alsp get a lot of information here but come back here too. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...=1#post2630080

Not really much info around re the changes.
twr7cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator