Water in my oil, where can it get in at? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 20:06   #1 (permalink)
87r

Water in my oil, where can it get in at?

So i purchased a seized up 01 explorer sport with the 4.0 sohc and tore it apart, found a blowen apart timing chain guide and a bunch of bent valves. Replaced all of the chains, guides, etc, head bolts, all gaskets, waterpump, outlet, hoses, radiator and some other maintnence stuff slapped the motor in and it runs fantastic. I went to change the oil just to do a little inspection for metal and i ended up finding green, streeky oil. I changed the oil and drove it about 15 miles on the freeway, brought it home, and it still ran AMAZING without a single hickup. Pulled it in, drained the oil, and this time it is very green and strreky/milky. The oil is black and dosnt look like a milkshake like a normal blowen head gasket but is green and definetly looks contaminated with coolant. I pulled the plugs and they all look amazing as well with no green/wet tint and they all have just a edge of brown to them. What i do know:
1. there is a small coolant leak from the front cover/water pump that has me suspicious
2. there is water dripping from the muffler but it is clean, clear, and cool and i believe it is just condensation
3. it runs perfect with no cel, hesitation, smoke, steam, coolant bubbling, etc

My question is, where could this water be coming in it? If i understand correctly the intake manifold gaskets cant cause it as they do not transfer coolant. Could i really have a head gasket leak that is bad enough to leak unburnt water into the oil, while having no symptoms. Does the front cover transfer coolant? Where else can it get in at?

Thanks
87r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 20:40   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Water in my oil, where can it get in at?

I know on my Dodge V8 the head gasket can fail between the water and oil jackets/passages which would cause your symptom without affecting engine performance in regard to burning either fluid.

With everything you mentioned that was bad/wrong with the engine it wouldn't surprise me if the head gasket was bad.

It might be wise anyway to check the compression of each cylinder just to be on the safe side. I would do a wet and dry test. If you unsure of where the fluid was going I'd advise a UV dye test to better pinpoint the 'leak'. As it's internal, it's of course harder to accurately locate.

Depending on the mileage it sounds like you may be better investing in a long block with lower mileage. Then swap on a new water pump, oil pump, etc. I've replaced a few head gaskets to know that not all of them fail in a similar fashion or certain spot on the top of the cylinder bank.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:01   #3 (permalink)
87r

i didnt think about the fact that it could be leaking down the timing chain guide holes as well. ill do a compression test tonight when i get off work and let you know. thanks
87r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 19:33   #4 (permalink)
canuck

OK keep us updated
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator