Who's good with noises, other than bodily? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 15:11   #1 (permalink)

Who's good with noises, other than bodily?

I recently purchased my first used SUV. (1999 Explorer 4dr. with 64,000mi) When i test drove the vehicle it sounded great, now when i drive it i realized there is a deep humming noise, it also has a repetitive beat to it sometimes. I hear the noise best while driving 25-45mph and the noise gets louder sometimes while turning. Can it be a wheel bearing? I also noticed when i break 70mph the vehicle seems to shake/vibrate a bit, but not all the time. Do the tires just need to be rebalanced? HELP???
TheChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 15:14   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Who's good with noises, other than bodily?

I would take it in for a full balance.

I have heard if driven hard off-raod in mud etc, its possible to get mud in the trye and it can cause massive out of balance.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 15:14   #3 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: Who's good with noises, other than bodily?

I would look at swapping the front tyres to the rear and rears to front to start with. It could be uneven front wear (even a small flatspot). At this this way you can see if the problem remains or has changed and have a good idea what to try next.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator