windsheild washer pump - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2007, 16:43   #1 (permalink)

windsheild washer pump

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer and the front washers don't work. The rears are fine and I have replaces the front switch. It appears that it is a single pump for front and rear. Need help

Thanks
steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 06:19   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: windsheild washer pump

Can you hear the pump run? If so, maybe just a clogged line or orifice on the sprayer. Seems like if there was only one pump, it would spray both glasses at the same time. i would think it is 2 seperate pumps, but I may be wrong.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:13   #3 (permalink)

I checked with ford and auto zone and they show only one pump in the system. I also cleared the lines with compressed air and still nothing. Got another pump and it runs off the rear but not the front. Checked the plug with a test light and one side is hot and the other not with the front switch held in. What is strange is the pump runs with the rear switch pushed and neither side of the plug shows hot. This has me really puzzled. I appreciate you response.

Thanks
steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:34   #4 (permalink)

Steve G, You are correct in statement that there is only one pump for both the front and rear glass. I too have the same problem. In my investigation I first checked the electrical connection to the pump. (Two contact points in the connector) In checking with a test light, and voltmeter, I discovered that I had voltage to one of the connectors when the front washer button was pressed. I then discovered that I also had voltage on the other connector when the rear washer button was pressed. I was stumped for a minute trying to figure as to just how "ground" got to the pump when there was only two contacts in the electrical connection to the pump and each was showing voltage from my test mentioned. I then removed the pump and placed it out on my work bench where I could really examine it better. Discovering two different outlets in the bottom of pump (one for front and the other for the rear) I was stumped as to how one pump could deliver to two seperate places. The answer had to be with reserving the direction that the pump motor turned. I then set this pump up, again on my bench, as a test and by reversing the polarity of 12VDC voltage going into the pump I found that by doing this the pump changes direction and sends the fluid to each window independently. Retesting at the connector that feeds power to the washer pump I found, with my test light, that the connector that originally showed 12V+ for my front windshield wash button was now actually serving as a "ground" when I pressed the button for the rear glass however for my front windshield wash the "ground" on the other connector is NOT present therefore voltage is not getting to the pump for the front washer. My conclusion is that there has to exist a replay that permits the reversing of polarity of voltage to the electrical connector that connects to the washer pump. I had to quite on the project because vehicle was needed by my son returning to college.

HERE IS MY TEMP FIX untill I have more time to work on this. I PLUGGED THE HOSE COMING OUT OF THE THE PUMP THAT SERVICES THE FRONT WINDSHIELD. I REMOVED THE LINE GOING TO REAR GLASS AND INSERTED A "TEE" INTO THIS AND RE-CONNECTED TO BOTH THE FRONT AND REAR GLASS. TOLD MY SON TO PRESS THE REAR WASHER TO GET CLEANER TO BOTH. Hope that I have helped and maybe someone will provide more......
jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator