3.8l to 351w engine swap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2003, 10:47   #1 (permalink)
djlonewolf

3.8l to 351w engine swap

i have a 1984 ford thunderbird with the 3.8l v6 and c-5 auto. the tranny has allready been swapped to a later model mustang c-5. and now i am looking at swapping the 351w from my van into my thunderbird. i am planning on useing stock 302 motor mounts, factory gt-40 mustang shorty headers, a msd blaster ignition or a msd 6a ignition, and for the time being the stock radiator. what i am wondering is will the 351w van rear sump oil pan fit the thunderbird k-member which is the same as the mustang? and will it be possible to use the 3.8's brackets for the alt. and power steering pump, or the 351w brackets and alt. and power steering pump, or will i need to get special brackets to mount either of the alternators or power steering pumps? i am planning on replaceing my current fuel pressure regulator with a mallory unit i have been told they can handle the incoming fuel pressure of my efi pumps and cut it down to the 5-7 psi range for either my 500 cfm holley 2-barrel or my 600 cfm holley 4-barrel. any suggestions or pointers will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2003, 16:59   #2 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

Re: 3.8l to 351w engine swap

Don't know a thing about T-Birds,except they are cool. If you could post some pictures when its done, that would be great.
As for alt, power steer, ...... i can only assume you will need to use all the 35 windsor stuff, as brackets dont usually go between engines.
eg. ED/ED xr6 alt bracket will not work on EF/EL xr6, as they have a different belt system, although the eninge is almost identical.

Good luck, and dont forget those pics.
(I'll work it out one day)
Hilux Diff - 4.1 Detroit Locker
BlownV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech