3.8L V6 Life? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 07:02   #1 (permalink)
patchelect

3.8L V6 Life?

I'm a newcomer to this forum with questions about the 3.8 V6. I have read about head gasket issues on these engines but most of the stories I read pertained to installations in FWD vehicles. Asking my mechanic only got me a flat answer, "Get the V8" with claims about buying and selling them after putting new head gaskets in the engines and making profits. Are they really engines to stay away from or is it mostly the FWD vehicles that had the problems? Specifically I'm looking at a 97 Mustang with 100+ on the clock. If the general consensus is to avoid them then I'll take the advise and move on. If I can get some assurances to the contrary I'm willing to bite the bullet. My only experiences with Ford products over the last 45 years is mostly friends ownership and whatever I've read. And if the engines had bad years that changed over time, what is the cutoff point?
patchelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 10:59   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 3.8L V6 Life?

As with any older vehicle it all comes down to maintenance. The 3.8 had head gasket issues in all applications in the early 90s. By 97 I think it was fixed. But even if they start to leak after replacing was never a repeat issue. Why not a slightly newer one?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:29   #3 (permalink)
patchelect

Not tied to the 97, but the specific car in question is a looker. I AM eying a newer one, but many of them are black, and I'm not into the color.

However, you have given me a bit of confidence on looking. And I do agree it's the maintenance as well as the idiosyncrasies of the vehicle that need to be understood.
Old 09-11-2013, 19:35   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Good luck on your hunt for your mustang.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech