98 Ranger 3.0 interchange - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-20-09, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

98 Ranger 3.0 interchange

I just picked up a 1998 Ranger 4x4 ext. cab, automatic with a locked up motor. I have 2 motors immediately available, and was wondering about the interchangeability.

Motor 1 is a 3.0 out of a 1992 2WD Ranger. Obviously there are ignition differences (dist vs. coil packs), but if I stripped it down to a long block, is it a viable swap? What triggers the spark on the 98, and is it external to the motor?

Motor 2 is a 3.0 out of a 97 Taurus. I would assume the ignition components are practically the same, but don't know if a transverse engine will readily swap into the Ranger. What complications might I run into?

If anyone can lend a piece of their brain, I sure would appreciate it. I'm trying to keep costs down on this project; the 92 motor I can get for free, and the Taurus motor is going to run me about $350 (or less). Thanks in advance for any info.

-PC76
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-20-09, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Re: 98 Ranger 3.0 interchange

Quote:
Motor 2 is a 3.0 out of a 97 Taurus. I would assume the ignition components are practically the same, but don't know if a transverse engine will readily swap into the Ranger. What complications might I run into?
I'm almost positive a FWD engine will not work in a RWD vehicle because of the differences in the motor mount setup. I know there are a few ppl on this forum that could positively answer this, but I have not seen them in a few days. I'll send them a PM about this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts