Alt Shorted Out-Car won't Start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 16:56   #1 (permalink)
North Carolina

Alt Shorted Out-Car won't Start

Hello all, first post and seing i'm getting a Ford Bronco proubly won't be my last.
My question is my sister has a 86 Ford Taurus V6 3.0 wagon. The Alt shorted out and burned off the top big wire at the alt. Of corse it died on the highway. I have replaced the alt and both sets of wires that go to it. Charged up the battery and it won't crank. Dash lights come on when I try to start but go out when I turn key to crank. I don't hear any relays. Any fuses to check? Lights, turn signals all work. What about the computer that sits on top of the rad? I believe it's the "Control Assy Relay Multiple Function"? Thanks in advance.

Randy
rpolk2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 10:56   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: Alt Shorted Out-Car won't Start

inspect all wires accoitated with with the starting and charging system back to the cilenoid, inspect all fuses period, inspect the cars main groundmount, ya the 30gauge tiny tiny wire running from the neg. battery terminal to ususally the same scrue that mounts the driver side headlight's, neg. feed.
if you can get full ilimunation, gauges, fuel, the door warning chime and the stero already start counting your blessings.
Chances are the alt didnt just ""fry out everything.
more like a positive wire has fallen onto sumthing hot, shorted out or got caught in the alt. fan or sumthing.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:58   #3 (permalink)
North Carolina

Thanks for the reply. Will check this out. Keep thinking "New Cars" computers ect......Need to think "Old Cars". Anyway thanks.
Old 01-25-2007, 15:41   #4 (permalink)
North Carolina

Done alittle more digging through wires and things seem to check out. Is there a main fuse for the starter? Old days used to have fuse blocks or main fuses on fender wells but can't seem to find any. I noticed on the side of the starter solenoid there, what looks like a solid fuse? About 1/2 by 1" metal thing. Also the votage regulator looks a little dark around the conector but I don't think this would stop the starter from working. Everthing else works (lights, fan, ect.).

Have not checked fuses under dash yet. Any main fuses or relays in there that would cause it not to turn over?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03   #5 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

i would check every fuse you can unles u have already seen what that fuse is associated with, and working.
there will be a fuse or two under the dash that allows the ignition switch to que up the solenoid.
ive helped a friend change 1 in a 87 tarus.
1 thing i did forget to mention.
there should be a wire that runs from the cabin to the cilenoid, usually black, should have a simple pop on/off grip on said prong of the solenoid.
it is vital for the starting process to work from within the car.
next up, have u tried crossing the cilenoid.
make shure the e-brake is on and the car is in netural. turn the ignition to the on position.
carefully, use a scrue driver to make contact between the two large terminals on the solenoid. if the engine does not spin, the problem is under the hood.
have u had the starter tested yet?
you can take it to autozone or where ever to have them mount and test it but thats just a waste of time.
take it off the car, take a battery to, place bolth securly off the ground.
get a friend.
get say 2 14 gauge or w/e wires, put one foot on top of the starter, and make eletrical contact for just a second. it should wind up fast.
i would also just replace the cilenoid after a disaster like that to.
its just about got me stumped.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:05   #6 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

before you give up i gota a buddie here who suggested, to get a few to many cans of engine degreser in there, might help to see stuff a little better.
just disconnect the battery b4 he says.
-good luck
Old 01-30-2007, 05:46   #7 (permalink)
North Carolina

Thanks for the info. Got it fixed, for the most part that is. Turned out to be the starter solenold and the voltage reg. Was a new starter by the way. Now for the next problem. For the past two mornings, when it has been cold (mid teens), it will turn over but not start. Let it warm up allitle and the rest of the day it will start just fine. Any kind of cold start vuale to look for. Choke? Put in a can of gas treatment just incase theres some water in the lines but did this again this morning. Thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 15:01   #8 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

man i tol u like 15 times to replace the solenoid! Im just glad u got it fixed.
as for the cold start problems, next time dont start the car in the morning, wait until mid day, then go try. the cold air charge/choke shouldent be what u should look into.
more towards the fuel pump pressure i would go.
try geting in, and turning the car to the on position a few times, allowing the fuel cycle to pressurize before initial cranking, then crank, it should start up faster, and if it does im afariad you may need a new pump sumtime soon.
also think about this in the morning the air would be more dense, requiring more fuel, which that pump might not be able to deliver.
or u could have a few gummie injectors..
who knows but i bet a little has to do with how long the car has sat.....
Old 01-30-2007, 18:06   #9 (permalink)
North Carolina

Thanks there Cronicus. I'm hopeing the cold start problem will just turn out to be a bad battery. Had to pull it out and recharge it. It has a Advance Silver in it and by running it totaly dead might have a bad cell. Getting 14.14v at the battery with motor running so we will see in the morning.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 20:23   #10 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

14 volts is perfect.
.14 almost to much.
watch it the car may run nice with such a charge but to much can get your car all shorted out or just blow sum fuses.
what the battery test's at is crutial.
after a good charge 11v or less its junk.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech