Cougar V6 Duratec Died - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 11:16   #1 (permalink)
Freebird

Cougar V6 Duratec Died

Hi, Iím new to your forums and but frequently on them at ukcougar.com, I have a 2000 Ford Cougar V6 and my engine has just blown big time and for no apparent reason, research has shown that some other Duratec owners globally have suffered a similar fate and Iím trying to gather information.
My Cougar is 4 years old, I have had it for 3 years, the previous owner was Ford, it has done 51k with FSH, always services by Ford, no modifications and driven with pride and consideration (I'm 57 and no boy racer), it has never used oil and has never had a problem apart from a blown bulb or two. I love the car.
The problem occurred when I came down a dual carriageway at 75 to 80mph up to a small roundabout, (no heavy braking, plenty of time, decelerated and light braking) I had to take exit 3 and a so a 300 degree right hand turn was taken on it. I come off the roundabout and up an incline towards a main carriageway when I noticed a dramatic loss of power, followed by a slight engine noise (not heavy like a big end but sharper, tinkling sound). I scanned the dash for management and oil lights etc ready to cut the engine if necessary as I felt something was wrong, but no warning lights showed and the engine temperature was ok, I continued up the incline at a slow speed as there was nowhere to pull over but there was no improvement, I was concerned even though there were no warning lights so I reached out to cut the ignition, at the same time the management and oil light come on so I cut the engine instantly and coasted to the kerb and called the AA (vehicle recovery).
When he arrived the AA engineer asked me to briefly start the engine, when I did so he immediately diagnosed a crankshaft problem probably caused by oil starvation and that the engine was finished, he then towed me back to my home address where the car is now. The car still had oil almost to the MAX on the dipstick and there was no oil leak or smoke, steam etc.
I am aware of other Cougar V6 and also Mondeo owners with the same Duratec engine that have had this problem, not just in the UK but globally.
One problem seems to be with the early oil pumps aerating the oil which restricts the oils supply to the crankshaft and initially I thought this might be the case, but I have also found that many have blown after taking a sharp right hand turn (as in my case) which may be due to the early sumps allowing the oil to wash away from the crank/pump (?). I believe Ford later fitted a redesigned sump fitted with baffles to prevent this from happening but did not see it as a recall issue.
Terry Haines has given his expert opinion that its 'spun bearings' which Ford is trying to ignore at all costs.
I believe the warranty is 36 months or 60k, mine is 45 months old and has done 51k, and I canít afford to replace the engine (£3.5k!!) so the car is dead for the foreseeable future.
Can anyone give me feedback or opinion on this apparent problem please, espacially if they have suffered the same fate?
Freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2004, 02:29   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: Cougar V6 Duratec Died

I have not heard of anyone experiencing this here locally in Texas on any of the fords with a duratec in them. I have read on the web that this has been occurring in the EU fords a ton. Maybe some of the AU brothers can shed some light on this if they have heard anything about it over on that side of the Pond.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 00:41   #3 (permalink)
Freebird

Thanks LunaticSVT, whatever the outcome of this I will post it here for anyone else who may experience a similar problem.
It seems fairly rare but we have had 5 out of 500 owners on UK Cougar Owners Club, 1% total failure isnt too good, and others have been found in the US.
Phil
Freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:41   #4 (permalink)

I've lost 2 V6 engines to this fault, both considerately driven, both sub 50k miles. Has anyone had any luck suing ford about this? lol Seriously though, help! Anyone got a FREE engine? Im £29,000 down on purchasing these (otherwise fine) cars. Marcus Cambridge UK
marcusdeaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech