Distributer Rotor Alignment!! help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2004, 15:38   #1 (permalink)

Distributer Rotor Alignment!! help!

okay, here we go...

i'm not a ford guy...need some help on my dad's 1990 taurus GL with the 3 liter OHV v6.

i just put the engine back together after taking the intake manifold out to get a broken bolt out of the thermostat housing area. i haven't really worked much on fords, and i never intended to get this deep into this motor, i simply broke a bolt while changing a thermostat housing gasket. anyways, long story short, i've got everything back together now. however, i need to correctly align the distributer rotor so i get spark when i need it. also, i labeled the spark wires on the cap, but if any of you guys have a diagram as to how they go, i'd like to be sure, so there aren't any loud explosions when i try to start it. thanks MUCH for the help!
ineedhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2004, 23:03   #2 (permalink)
Origi-Bulge (tm)

Re: Distributer Rotor Alignment!! help!

You wonít get any loud explosions, they just wonít fire if they're not going to the right cylinders, if you've got the right ones going to the right cylinders she'll be apples. Itís just a matter of length.

As for the rotor button, I know my rotor button only goes on 1 way (as there is a keyed bit in it). *shrugs* not much to it really. If you know the firing order of the cylinders, get cylinder 1 on Top Dead Centre and then start from where ever the rotor button is inside the cap.

E.g. The firing order on my XY is 1-5-3-6-2-4. So after I had cylinder 1 on TDC, I look inside the distributor cap, to see where the rotor button is, then work my way around in a clockwise fashion plugging in the High Tension leads (spark plug leads) in the order of 1-5-3-6-2-4. Easy.

Oh and donít forget to connect the High Tension lead from the coil... I've done that before, itís very embarrassing.

Hope this helps, feel free to correct me if iím mistaken anywhere.

Dale

Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steak and leather
Klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:32   #3 (permalink)
Origi-Bulge (tm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawsterfobik
The firing order on my XY is 1-5-3-6-2-4. So after I had cylinder 1 on TDC, I look inside the distributor cap, to see where the rotor button is, then work my way around in a clockwise fashion plugging in the High Tension leads (spark plug leads) in the order of 1-5-3-6-2-4. Easy.
That could be counter-clockwise...

Cows would live a lot longer if they weren't made out of steak and leather
Klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:38   #4 (permalink)

ineedhelp,

Turn the crank so its timing marks are pointing at TDC. On the dizzy, check to see where the end of the rotor button is pointing, if it lines up with the post for Number 1 plug or close enough you're fine, otherwise rotate the crank 360 degrees.

Once that is done, just line the dizzy up so the centre of the rotor points at number 1 post and thats a basic setting. Now rotate the dizzy back about 10 degree's and you should be pretty close to right timing. Matter of whacking a timing light on and setting to factory specs after that.
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech