Need Advice about idle problem after timing job... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2003, 14:45   #1 (permalink)
pgt96w99k

Question Need Advice about idle problem after timing job...

Hi i have had my 96 probe gt 5spd since 50k (currently 98500miles) and have had some of the regurlar issues associated with probes ie: water pump, ingnition set, clutch. All of which i had replaced, and havent had problems until i started hearing belt noise... so i took it to my mechanic (who i have been dealing with for 2yrs now satisfactorily) and he told me pretty much what i new... timing bet tensioners ac/belt, couple misc associated with those and i had him do the water pump again since it went out on me at 55k...all and all i was happy no more noise and better performance, except when idling after start or warmed the car jerks alittle and the rpms dip almost to 0... usually hovers around 1st/2nd line...i started testing wether it was draw from my amplifers... and i tried putting on headlights ac etc and that actually fixed the idling cuz it bumped it up a few notches.... but with nothing electrical on or just radio...it would dip at idle and at one point the CE light came on... i took it back to my mechaninc to check the idle/work he just did the very next day after getting it back from 1st job. He told me it was 99.9% my alternator after running it thru diagnostix and coming up clean... voltage on the alt was a few pts low.. i was hesitant about this because i wasnt' sure it was the problem...

Alternator is in ...

i have a 2nd battery in the trunk and a isolater between the alternator and the 2 battereis to power both... my mechanic now wants to replace the isolater...(which i put in my self when i purchased the car 4 yrs ago...) and i believe he kept the new alternator in the car....

Am i obliged to pay for the alternator if the problem is really the isolater or something else??

Are alternators problematic with probes and should i just keep the new one to forgoe a headache later?

Any suggestions as to my problem with the idle??

thanks alot and sorry for the long story :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech