need help asap on '96 taurus overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2003, 16:44   #1 (permalink)

need help asap on '96 taurus overheating

My gf's car has overheated a couple times in the past couple days so we are letting it sit till the problem is solved.. about 2 mos ago was the first time it overheated and she added water and little coolant and for 2 mos nothing happend.. Just the other day her car overheated and we put coolant and lots of water and it ran fine for the rest of the day. And yesterday suddenly the car overheated 10 mins into the trip. There are no leaks or anything we can detect. I just bought a new thermostat and engine coolant temp. sensor for her car and I'm thinking that will do the trick. Could there be anything else causing the overheating or is it most likely the collant temp. sensor and thermostat? The overheating took place on my '87 caddy and the same thing happend.. I replaced both of the parts and it never happend again. I think the sensor is bad causing the fans not to come on or something. Can someone also shoot me a link to where the thermostat and collant temp sensor would be located in detail so I can change it out? Thanks alot.. Its a 1996 taurus GL with the basic 145 hp 6 in it.

Bobby
Bobby C 01TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2003, 00:02   #2 (permalink)
Whats traction?

I'm just guessing here as we don't have many in Australia.

Sounds like your waterpump might have packed it in, also check your thermo fan is running normaly at both high and low speeds.

Easy way to check is start the car and let the engine run untill the low speed setting kicks in, then turn on the A/C, which will start the high speed setting.

If either fan setting fails that will probably be why. Once you have done the fan test, let it get good and hot, then stop the car over a dry piece of concrete, then check for any water leaks.

Failing that, replace the water pump and see how you go.

Good Luck,
Old 07-11-2003, 00:17   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: need help asap on '96 taurus overheating

How much water are you putting in??
'Lots' in 2 months is worrying.

Is the oil white?
Do you notice a lot of white smoke in the exhaust?
The engine must be using water somewhere if its using a lot in 2 months.

Perhaps it's leaking onto a hot part like the exhaust and evaporating before you notice the leak. Because a cooling system runs under pressure, there are instances where the car will not leak when cold.

It'll definitely pay to check the fans first, as xdc351 said, but I get the feeling from what you've said that it may turn out to be a leak.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:20   #4 (permalink)

well a couple days back I replaced the thermostat with gasket and also the coolant temperature sensor in 1 shot. The thermostat gasket looked shot and also the collant temp. sensor just broke off..it looked so brittle.The fans kick on when they are supposed to now. It seems like everything is good so far. The gf and I drove around 60 miles.. literally after replacing the 2 parts and the needle is where its supposed to be and theres no smoke or water gurgling and there are no leaks. If I see any kinda leak, I am going to change out the coolant container but so far so good. Thanks for the replaies guys :)

Bobby
Old 07-11-2003, 19:15   #5 (permalink)

Good luck with it!

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Old 07-20-2003, 16:17   #6 (permalink)

ok this sucks.. i dont get it?! 2 weeks ago I changed out the thermostat and the engine temp. sensor and added new coolant and just last night (2 weeks after) the car started running hot again! What else could be the problem? The car ran fine for 2 weeks with plenty of driving in 100 degree heat and just last night in 75 degrees it heats up again.. I believe that its not holding in water or something.. what else can I replace? I'm pretty broke right now so hopefully its nothing major! Thanks :)
Old 07-21-2003, 03:23   #7 (permalink)

If it's not holding water, check the colour of your oil and see if it blows any smoke out the exhaust.
Those are the expensive (and easiest to check) possibilities.
If it's not that, I'm afraid you will have to go all through the car with a magnifying glass as one of the hoses must be leaking - most probably one of the heater hoses at the back of the motor. Be warned - if it is one of these, the leak will likely be tiny and may not drip on the floor, so check very carefully!

Good luck

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Old 07-21-2003, 08:05   #8 (permalink)

i'm gonna check the color of the oil and see if its milky or not so that will tell me if its a bad gasket etc.. I'm wondering if its a hose, will a leak sealer help a little or any? Guess I gotta check everything.. grrr. oh well
Old 07-21-2003, 19:21   #9 (permalink)

Hehe I guarantee checking all the hoses on that will make you wonder just how much you REALLY love your g/f !

Enjoy!

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Old 02-16-2004, 13:44   #10 (permalink)

My XR6 had a leak and I thought it had blown a head gasket, but it turned out to be a small hose under the inlet manifold. It had a tiny split in it and under pressure it opened right up letting coolant piss out everywhere. It's always the way, the simplest of things cause the most challenges.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech