overheating 2lt - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2004, 13:32   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up overheating 2lt

I built up a Mk I panel van for the 2002 Kidney Kar Rally useing all new and reco parts but we had major problems with engine temp. The 2lt motor we fitted was recoed and balanced, the gearbox was also rebuilt, we fitted a recored 2lt radiator,new water pump,hoses, belt. It had a new thermostat which we changed on route, we tried several different temps, we tried drilling small holes to increase flow. Nothing changed we still ran hot, hot enough to boil the fuel out of carby and fuel pump at control points (embarrasing leaving control points popping and banging up the road) hot enough to melt a plastic garbage bag to the carpet under my seat, hot enough to start worrying about that plastic fuel line that Ford saw fit to use, hot enough for us to have to pull out of 5000km 10day flat out rally that was heading to Longreach (even hotter than Newcastle where we started from) after the first day, which was heartbreaking after spending a full year building the car and raising the funds required. When we got back I pulled off the head thinking possible head gasket problems but not so. Has any one else had the same problem with a 2lt and what did you do to rectify. Thanks..

PS.Im a new member. This is a great site.Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8ADA5855.jpg (96.7 KB, 24 views)
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 03:13   #2 (permalink)
MLS

Re: overheating 2lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by two heads
I built up a Mk I panel van for the 2002 Kidney Kar Rally useing all new and reco parts but we had major problems with engine temp. The 2lt motor we fitted was recoed and balanced, the gearbox was also rebuilt, we fitted a recored 2lt radiator,new water pump,hoses, belt. It had a new thermostat which we changed on route, we tried several different temps, we tried drilling small holes to increase flow. Nothing changed we still ran hot, hot enough to boil the fuel out of carby and fuel pump at control points (embarrasing leaving control points popping and banging up the road) hot enough to melt a plastic garbage bag to the carpet under my seat, hot enough to start worrying about that plastic fuel line that Ford saw fit to use, hot enough for us to have to pull out of 5000km 10day flat out rally that was heading to Longreach (even hotter than Newcastle where we started from) after the first day, which was heartbreaking after spending a full year building the car and raising the funds required. When we got back I pulled off the head thinking possible head gasket problems but not so. Has any one else had the same problem with a 2lt and what did you do to rectify. Thanks..

PS.Im a new member. This is a great site.Cheers.
Think you might have a couple of different issues to resolve.

1. Melting plastic under the seat suggests you probably have extractors... if so an alloy heat sheild protecting the floor should rectify this.

Mark I's never had a lot of room in the engine bay with the 1300 let alone stuffing a 2 ltr in there. I see from thwe photo there have been some holes bored into the front cowl under the grill, seems like there probably still isn't enough air flow into or out of the engine bay to get rid of the built up heat.
Try getting some thermal wrap to put aroung the extractors (again assuming that is what is fitted), make sure you have as shrouding as possible to force air into both the radiator and engine bay.

If possible take the bonnet off the car and go for a decent run in it, does it get hot when doing this? If not, definitely air flow problems.

Do you run a thermo fan? is it big enough? is it big enough not to restrictor airflow when out on the highway?

Just a few areas to look at to start with.
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:38   #3 (permalink)

Used to run my 2litre with the core of the thermostat ripped out just leaving the restriction. A 3 core radiator also helped keeping it cool as the standard fan just doesn't move much air and the extra waterflow helps in cooling.

And as MLS said.. heat under feet normally indicates extractors and some form of shielding is required. I melted the sole of a shoe once on a long high speed trip back from the Gold Coast once.. pulled over at the end of the journey and was a nice reddy white glow coming from the extractors.

RIP my ol' esky.. many years of good service
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 22:47   #4 (permalink)
87XF302W

I used exhaust wrap to cure that problem in my MkII it used to melt the carpets on the floor.Also I ducted cold air direct to the carbs and that dropped the running temp.I have seen another guys car at a certain track (not me honest) which kept overheating and he had his electric fan going in reverse
4dnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 18:23   #5 (permalink)
302 vanman

i used a rad out of a fiat 128 twin cam worked very well with little mods
302 vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 17:59   #6 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

I had similar problems with my last RS2000. The solution was to get a radiator especially made up for the car.

By the way - what about the water pump, is it flowing enough water, and what about scale in the water jackets?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:19   #7 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Is the timing right? If it's running too retarded, it can also have the same effect
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech