recruit more 3.0 members - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2001, 18:39   #1 (permalink)
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member

Arrow recruit more 3.0 members

we dont have many 3.0 members grouped up, but i have met quite a few over the last couple of months. try to get all of them posting in the lx section here so we can share ideas.

on PT i know vulcan has some good plans underway, i do, mirage does, and pizzaboy has some ideas he is planning too. Bufalo has done a million things, and i know im leaving people out.

recruit 3.0 members :)
Caliguy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2001, 20:00   #2 (permalink)
TxPoc Moderator

I have MANY plans for the ole LX but I'd rather not share them,not because I'm a prick like that. Just that with college and all I might not get them all done(don't want that BS flag comming up on me now do I?) As upgrades are added I'll post pictures

~G~
Old 11-27-2001, 22:11   #3 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

Aha Glance! Pulling the old Bufalo trick eh? He's got some secret stuff going on right now too. Wondering if it might be a supercharger, or maybe the Vulcan/SHO hybrid.

Boy, the possibilities for the 3.0L have tripled in the past year or so!

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 22:36   #4 (permalink)
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member

i emailed a few people.. i want to male the lx board a happening place!
Caliguy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 06:22   #5 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

Cool thanks Cali! I've been waiting FOREVER for this place to grow, -- I used to post to myself here. I'd check back in a week and I think I would have maybe 1 or 2 views of my post!

Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Old 11-28-2001, 06:26   #6 (permalink)
Probe GL Member

I'm quite experienced in car "stuff". My ultimate plans include an aggressive rebuild of the old 3.0... selective porting, and a supercharger.

I plan to build an engine supercharger combo that's capable of supporting around 15 pounds of boost. I've done it before on a suburban, and on a blazer... BUT those two vehicles have MUCH better aftermarket support.

My plans don't include working on the intake side of the engine nearly as much as the exhaust, engine internals I'm unsure about just yet... what I need is to acquire a spare 3.0 engine to play around with. Measure stuff and calculate tolerances under virtual loads...

Anyway I know I can do it but money is (like most of you) my biggest problem. For other people where money is not an issue... the job is easy.

Personal opinions on the matter I believe a centrifugal supercharger is the best way to go... surpassing both roots and turbo possibilities. The 3.0 stock makes most of it's power in the Lower RPMs the lag on a turbo would waste potential power in my opinion and the roots sucks air after the throttle body whereas I believe it is best to push it in. not only that but higher intake velocity develops more low end torque (why do you think GM developed the very successful vortech concept) and a roots system requires modifications that significantly slow the intake velocity.

I have in the past rebuilt a vulcan engine (on a ranger) but that project greatly pales in comparison to what I have in mind for my LX.

Questions are welcome, I hide nothing! Well almost

http://probesport.extremespace.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c22e6eb1a3affff

Ryanpzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 06:45   #7 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

So how far along are you on your project? When you plan on having it completed?

Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Old 11-28-2001, 07:20   #8 (permalink)
Probe GL Member

Well when I first got the car it barely ran, the trans was messed up, the brakes were pretty much non-existant, the interior was a mess, the rear passenger side was smashed up pretty bad etc...

Since I got it registered in august I have repaired most of those problems. I fixed the smashed up part of the car, though there is still some minor body work to be done. The car is at the moment mechanically perfect (though still in primarily stock form) with the exception of the right halfshaft. My project relies mostly on money. I am in currently working on a job at the GM tech center.. which should bring in some cash to fund my project. There is a 92 3.0 engine for sale in one of the yards here in Michigan for a couple hundred.. that's the engine I plan on rebuilding and eventually swapping into the car. When I swap the engines I'll pull the trans apart replace the synchros and weld the differential pin in place as well as inspect the internal components for wear. If I can get some of the trans internals coated I may, all depends on how much.

I'm going to use a stock type clutch (because of trans issues and a few other things) I don't know if it'll hold the kind of power I'm looking to make, in fact it probably won't, but I don't want to kill the trans in a shift.

I guess all of this is a good way to say I haven't got much done. I'm eager to get it done, but I need to wait for the money to come along. One of the biggest bits of my project is the supercharger. I was looking at the vortech supercharger line and they are quite expensive $1600 and up... if I could manage that a huge chunk of the work will be done in terms of funding, but I find it a bit difficult to justify putting that much money in to one thing. I'm almost tempted to go against my better judgement and buy a garrett T3 for $450 and work out turbo piping, but there again I have problems because this engine doesn't need anymore exhaust restrictions especially under boost!

Hopefully I can find an appropriate supercharger for less, but I really believe that for what I want a centrifugal supercharger is the way to go! Not the roots and not a turbo so I might just have to bite the bullet and hope that no one comes along and destroys my car a few weeks after I build it. I guess when it all comes down to it... I have another car that I could sell... but it's a probe too and I don't want to... we'll see

http://probesport.extremespace.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c22e6eb1a3affff

Ryanpzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 07:43   #9 (permalink)
TxPoc Moderator

I'm not doing anything THAT drastic I'm in the process of making a hybrid of a newer vulcan and a sho,they are going to make a beautiful baby = )

~G~
Old 11-28-2001, 08:16   #10 (permalink)
TxPoc Moderator

Update: I just got off the phone with a company that sells engines down here in Huston. They quoted me about 1k for the newer 3.0 engine out of a '97.Now is the newer 3.0 a twin cam or is it the duratec that I'm thinking about?

~G~
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech