rough idle problems 4.0 sohc '01 explorer sport - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 22:14   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation rough idle problems 4.0 sohc '01 explorer sport

hi all,
i am having rough idle problems with my 4.0 sohc v-6 on my '01 explorer sport, 2-wheel drive. problem has been going on for a long time and we can not figure it out. it has been in the shop for a week already and they can not figure out what it is doing. it is having a hard time starting and idling when first started, after it warms up it runs fine, except when i come to a stop at a light. i have replaced the intake gaskets, spark plugs, plug wires, IAC, MAF, fuel filter, checked all vacuum lines on motor and the idle got better but still very rough on cold start up, and stalling when i come to a stop. i have tried slowly coming to a stop and it wants to stall under 25-30 mph. when not in gear it idles fine when warm. what else can i check and try??? i dont want to put it back in the shop again. also the check engine light is on. we have reset the computer but the light comes back on the same day. thanks for any help you can give me.
woodn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 10:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: rough idle problems 4.0 sohc '01 explorer sport

also i have had new coil, and new cam position sensor. today it wont idle good at all even after being warm for 15-20 mins.
Old 03-09-2006, 22:05   #3 (permalink)

Had the same problem with the same engine 4.0. Are you sure you changed the intake manifold gaskets? I changed mine and the problem was solved.
drdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 18:23   #4 (permalink)

i am sure that the gaskets have been replaced. anyone got any ideas on this?????
Old 03-28-2006, 09:23   #5 (permalink)

i figured it out!!!! i got tired of it and tore down the whole intake and found out that the mechanic that "supposedly" changed both upper and lower intake gaskets, did not change the lower gaskets. i pulled them out and they were hard as a rock. replaced them and it runs like a dream!
Old 03-29-2010, 21:58   #6 (permalink)
cshill26

I seem to be having the same issue(rough idle)RPM is roughly steady at 1000 with my 4.0 SOHC explorer with 162,000 miles. Wondering if you have any codes? I'm getting P0172 and P0174.
cshill26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 21:45   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: rough idle problems 4.0 sohc '01 explorer sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshill26 View Post
I seem to be having the same issue(rough idle)RPM is roughly steady at 1000 with my 4.0 SOHC explorer with 162,000 miles. Wondering if you have any codes? I'm getting P0172 and P0174.
Check all of your vacuum lines and hoses, and all of the PCV lines and hoses. Any split or dry cracked hoses will cause vacuum leaks, with lean fuel system codes with rough running.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech