Ford Forums banner

rough idle problems 4.0 sohc '01 explorer sport

22K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
hi all,
i am having rough idle problems with my 4.0 sohc v-6 on my '01 explorer sport, 2-wheel drive. problem has been going on for a long time and we can not figure it out. it has been in the shop for a week already and they can not figure out what it is doing. it is having a hard time starting and idling when first started, after it warms up it runs fine, except when i come to a stop at a light. i have replaced the intake gaskets, spark plugs, plug wires, IAC, MAF, fuel filter, checked all vacuum lines on motor and the idle got better but still very rough on cold start up, and stalling when i come to a stop. i have tried slowly coming to a stop and it wants to stall under 25-30 mph. when not in gear it idles fine when warm. what else can i check and try??? i dont want to put it back in the shop again. also the check engine light is on. we have reset the computer but the light comes back on the same day. thanks for any help you can give me.

#5 ·
i figured it out!!!! i got tired of it and tore down the whole intake and found out that the mechanic that "supposedly" changed both upper and lower intake gaskets, did not change the lower gaskets. i pulled them out and they were hard as a rock. replaced them and it runs like a dream!

#7 ·
Check all of your vacuum lines and hoses, and all of the PCV lines and hoses. Any split or dry cracked hoses will cause vacuum leaks, with lean fuel system codes with rough running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.