Ford Forums banner

S reg mondeo V6 eng tick at 2000 rpm

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Fordtech. 
#1 ·
Hi there guys. Hope one of you can help.

Recently bought Mondeo 2.5 ghia. Cool car but noticing engine ticking at 2000 rpm (approx) on acceleration especially first and second gear and when cold.
This does not happen on reving engine when stationary...

Any ideas?

Cheers Ricky

#4 ·
Hi there, just back from holiday....I thought tappets too. I have also been reading that there is a problem with pre ignition (pinking)....This prob sounds too metalic for pinking though.....I'll just have to bite the bullet and take it too garage for estimate......Cheers for replying...Havn't driven the car for a week...Hope the prob has just gone away....

Ricky

#7 ·
U can tell if the head gasket is going if there is a milky substance in the oil from memory - quick indication would be to have a look around the oil cap.

The ticking could also be the valve lifters - you can buy some valve lifter silencer from an automotive store, just ad it in and it keeps things quiet.

#8 ·
Ordinarily, an oil/water mix is a fair indicator, but in this case the gasket blows in a weak-spot which is straight through to a large circular cut-out in the gasket corner adjacent to No. 2 cylinder. No coolant is involved and I've no idea what the hole is there for, as it lines up with nothing. Compression finds its way via the hole to atmosphere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.