stock tbird supercharger on my v6 stang??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2006, 20:43   #1 (permalink)

confused stock tbird supercharger on my v6 stang???

i have a 96 v6 3.8 liter mustang and i was wondering if i put a thunderbird SC supercharger on my car and if so how and what would i have to change on my mustang??? thanks alot
v6stang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2006, 18:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: stock tbird supercharger on my v6 stang???

you may have to lower the compression, maybe by adding a set of dish pistons. i dont know off the top of my head how much the super charger will add, you may be able to keep the pistons but your engine wont last as long as it could. you may be better off just changing engines, or going to a v8.
pillen140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 14:21   #3 (permalink)

You need the upper and lower intake manifold as well as the supercharger. You'll also want a Thunderbird SC ECU. You'll probably blow your stock Head Gasket pretty fast.

You'll be running about 220 hp.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 18:13   #4 (permalink)

It's been done by a few people including myself. As said above, your stock 3.8 probably won't last long because of the stress the M90 will add to your stock pistons and head gaskets.
You'd be much better off if you could swap the complete Supercoupe engine instead of putting the Supercoupe stuff on the N/A 3.8 engine. If you did decide to use the stock N/A 3.8 as 2 people I know have done, you basically need to swap everything from the long block up. All accessory brackets, pullies and tensioners, manifold, fuel rail and rig up the SC intercooler.
You use the Mustang ECU and tune it with a chip or flash the computer.
There's plenty of info at - V6Power.net
Old 08-09-2006, 13:13   #5 (permalink)

I'd get a parts car Supercoupe to begin with. I'd swap in the entire engine, the radiator and intercooler. You can use your computer/wiring(gotta do some repinning and lenghtening of some wires) but you'll need a good tune. I'd talk to the the guys at blue oval chips. If you are just set on putting the SC on your engine, I'd get the lower intake, sc, all the acessory brackets, the radiator and intercooler, then I'd deffinately get a tune or youre gonna kill your bottom end. the stock block and "internals" will handel it with the stock pulley, but I wouldnt risk it. Check out v6 power forums alot of guys have done the swap and there is alot of information out there on this.

Sccoa.com and tccoa.com has general information on this swap.

I'm in the process of swapping the entire drivetrain from a 95 supercoupe into my 97 tbird lx.

Both cars have DIS so thats one less thing to worry about. Id swap in the tranny from the sc and I'd upgrade to a 8.8 rear end to take the extra stress, but its not nessicary. All the supercoupes come with the 8.8(IRS rear end though so you cant really use that) w/ tracloc, so I'd jsut go ahead and get the rear end outta a gt, but as I said...thats jsut for piece of mind.
fordracingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 21:52   #6 (permalink)

i have a 96 3.8 with a s trim vortech....3:73s...pypes cat back ...itsplenty fast...take out gt's all day
mustangboi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech