Supercharging a Ford V6 ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2003, 10:18   #1 (permalink)
Disco Stu

Supercharging a Ford V6 ?

Sorry people, i know my thread isnt about a Falcon, but in the other section on the forums their rnt much people who would answer my question, so i thought id come here and ask due to hoping some people could answer my questions if they can be bothered!
Im currently thinking about buy a 96-97 Ford Probe, as we all know their V6, which i think their the kinda same engines in some last model Telstar's etc...
The engine hasnt got much power at all. I was thinking if i spent $5k more to put in a supercharger it would get me some decent power out of it. Ive tryed to search up on the internet some people who have done this, but their in US and doesnt give me any deatil of how much they gained and what they have done. Also seen some pictures of people who actually put Turbo chargers, but i think Turbo would be out of my budget!
The thing is, can the engine handle a Supercharger? Is it designed to suit superchargers? Would it cause me any problems later on (cylinder cracks etc.) and if u have any other opinions of what i can do other the supercharging, plz let me know!
The reason i want a Ford Probe is, i love my Fords but i also love coupe's...

Kadir
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2003, 18:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: Supercharging a Ford V6 ?

Heres a couple of things to think about:

Most cars will handle that kind of mod, provided it is well planned and implemented. Try to get a pre developed kit, this will cut the install time and costs drastically.

After you're back on the road, use quality oil and change it regularly. Use high octane fuel. Keep the the car well tuned at all times (especially in summer if it's hot in your area).

Also, use the power carefully. Just bolting on forced induction doesn't turn your car into a race car. Unless you intend on changing the entire drive train there are many things that can brake with the extra power.

IMHO, unless you're very keen on having a 'different' car, you're better off buying a more powerfull car, rather than modifying your car. That kind of mod is always going to cost a lot more in both time and money than any quote somene gives you.

Think and plan very carefully before you dive in. There is heaps that can go wrong. Your car could be off the road for quite a while, so have alternative transport orginised before you start.

On a lighter note, it can be great fun. I supercheged a previous car of mine (AU XR6) and had a blast with it. Gotta live the wine of SC.

Good luck mate.
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:17   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

If the engine sits in engine bay like an MX6 Mazda [same engine] there isn't realy any room for a s/c on drivers side. Though I have seen one done using a shaft off belts, brakets to otherside of engine on pasengers side where there is room..In this case a VG30 turbo would be easier as it's o/k on a 3 ltr be good on a 2.5 Ltr.. imo..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...

Last edited by ebxr8240; 10-19-2003 at 02:17.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 03:11   #4 (permalink)
Disco Stu

Thanx For all your comments... I think i will buy a Ford Probe, but just get a exhaust, wheels and cosmetic mods.
I wasnt really a fan of Probe's, but untill i saw one last weekend, it looked really sweet!
Old 02-20-2004, 01:16   #5 (permalink)
Fast but not Furious

you can fit a SC on a V6 on the driver side but you have to for-go your AC...
but go the turbo ... :tup:
Old 02-20-2004, 03:14   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Send me you email address.I'll send some pics..We have just done a Gt40/30 conversion on MX6 making manifilds etc..The ecu is being fitted and tuned now.. To make it harder we fitted a higher performance KLZE engine. With 10:1 compression we milled 4cc out of chambers...The hardest part is changing to bigger injectors as they're bassically for THAT motor only..So we may have to custom make up a fuel rail and fit different type injectors...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:13   #7 (permalink)
Fast but not Furious

Hell yea..mrmx6@bigpond.com
and if you want to get instant fame and fortune post them on mx6.com oz section
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech