whats the difference between long headers and short headers? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 08:04   #1 (permalink)

whats the difference between long headers and short headers?

i dont know too much about cars and i want to make my car a little faster and i found headers and they have long and short ones and i dont know the diff
any help would be greatly appreciated
spoke2go1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 09:38   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: whats the difference between long headers and short headers?

Backpressure, low to hi prm power, the power band it self.
for example if your veichle's cam is tailored to make max torque at a lower rpm say less than 3500rpm u might wanan compliment this with a shorter header.
the longer style are "usually" for hi rpm non street cars. with shitcaned low end power to make a stronger higher powerband on the hi rpms. Like my daily driver here. Sum cars can take it others cant. Sum specifications on your car would help.
Regardless enshuring the headers exit tubes are timed percisely is the most important thing to look for. Chances are your stock header isisnt....
and last you could buy the long style headers and just add on exhaust parts to maybe "tune" your exhaust to an apporiate amount of backpressure.
Old 02-03-2007, 20:45   #3 (permalink)

its a 1994 mustang with a 3.8 liter v6
Old 02-04-2007, 17:25   #4 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

get the long 1's
do u have a lik to them?
i would also replace the cat(s)
think about mufflers to.
flowmaster 40 series would howel.
i hope your going to split a tru dual exhaust, that motor has alot of potiental.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:57   #5 (permalink)

sorry i havnt posted back in a while
(got my first speeding ticket 64 in a 40)
anyway i was thinking of keeping the shorty headers that it has on it now and putting on a true dual exhaust from flowmaster
but i went to this place called g&s muffler and they said it would cost me $500 to put duals (he didnt say if they were true dual or not)
i was looking in my mustangs unlimited magazine and they have a 3.8 dual exhaust h-pipe kit for $90 that would allow for true duals but i dont know if it would lower the cost to put duals on my car or not
i really want to put duals on because me and my friend unbolted the muffler last weekend to hear what it sounded like and it sounded like a v8 so i decided to put duals on
i just cant afford a $500 exhaust but i want v8 sound
got any advice?
Old 03-13-2007, 18:44   #6 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

experiement with the pipe sizes but buy parts permernatly once.
do u want to run cats or not, flowmasters?
anything sounds better on a flow master, or your money back!

if you dont want to re-do exhaust systems every time you have an emissions inspection, "if this applys to your region" it might be better to run it legal.

alot of times performace parts can be wraped up into nice bundles, look pretty and sound like there gona sound good.

its not all always junk or a rip off and if you got the cache buy a package.

if you wnana save money and add a custom touch dont buy pipes just parts.

in my opinion, to save $, sum time and balance low end and hi end power, and go to sleep knowing youve got almost every horse from your exhaust, this is what i would do.

keep in mind on sum veichles it can be near impossible to run a tru dual and still keep each bank balanced.

do a little more reasearch and find out if the long vs. short header is because of any interfearence issues, like the mm on the auto version of said car is in the way so u have to run a short header, stuff like that.
enshure your headers have properly placed o2 sensor(s) and egr capaiblitys "if this applys to you" and make shure they have been timed correctly for exhaust pulses to basicly pull eachother out.

run a single 2 3/4 - 2 1/2 inch pipe "depending on the size of the header exit" of each bank to its own cat.
a good performaning cat ive seen used on many many cars, that will be "for them" a hi performance cat, and just 1 even on larger v6's
is the cat of a 96-98 toyota supra non turbo, with inlet on side.
this is vital, it needs to suk down more air under higher rpm's to burn excess fuel faster, more efficently and lightens the air, and actualy helps pull exhaust out. and its only $60

then as far away as possible from the cat give each bank its own flowmaster, but use a reducer pipe to loose up tp a half inch in pipe size to each flowmaster. enshure the flowmaster is correctly sized inlet to match the reducer pipe. this will cause slightly more force, and velicity through the muffler increasing the low notes of the rumble. this may also help with sum back pressure, for your city streets, at the cost of so little hp you wont even notice. and get a flowmaster from the **delta series. $40-60
as they have extreeme exhaust scaverging, a must for your aplication.

sorry no time for a spell check but this way would definatly be less than $500
id be willing to say you wont break $250 if you do it right the first time.
Old 03-14-2007, 13:29   #7 (permalink)

im not that good when it comes to the mechanicals of cars and stuff so could you give me somthing i could tell the people at the muffler shops i go to?
Old 03-14-2007, 17:56   #8 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

not a problem.
first get the headers on there.
next bring them, "dont let them sell you" the 96 non turbo supra cats, and the flowmasters "40 series, delta flow models".
when all they need to do is welding and pipe work, belive me things get cheaper.
you need an exact match pipe for the header exits to the cats, possibly a reducer to the cat if these are doomsday headers you have.
then nothing less than a 2 1/2 inch exit full leingth from the cats to the flowmasters.
and at the flowmaster entrance , dont even play around with reducers on the muffler yet, keep it simple for them.

however i would stress to them,it needs to be as straight as possible it needs to be as identical as possible, by all means nessary, then repeat, all means nessasary. if they absoutly have to bend 1 of the banks differently for whatever reason, make shure they make the same bend on the other side.
and then say, but keep it as straight as possible.

might be sum hi-school kiddos doing the work, or the equivlent of...... i would point out how everything needs to be done.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:23   #9 (permalink)

the guy suggested two places i go that do very good work and have a great reputation
ill probably go there when i get a day off from work and tell them what you told me
also, ive seen this thing called pro stick shifters and ratcheting shifters that are made by B&M
it says
"Shift through the gears one at a time with no missed shifts and no overshifting. This unique mechanism works like a motorcycle shifter in that moving the "hammer" T- Handle "ratchets" up or down to the next gear only. The stick then returns to its upright position, ready to upshift or downshift as you need."

is this like the automanuals or steptronic shifter that the new mazdas and bmws have? because that would be soooo awesome
it only costs $220-$300
but it says its for c4, c6 or AOD transmissions
i know what c4 and c6 is but what is an AOD transmission? is that like a stock transmission?
Old 03-20-2007, 20:36   #10 (permalink)

The ratchet shifter does just what they are saying. One click one gear and has reverse lock out. Once out of park and reverse you cant get it back there without moving the lockout lever. It really doesnt matter what kind of automatic you have or what its in. The shifters are universal with two parks locations to accomodate travel distance to park. The shifters come with every concievable shifter and cable bracket you might need. A little tricky to get set up, but once right, its rock solid.

AOD is Automatic Over Drive. Lower geared planetaries and an extra gear. Good for stealing the planetaries out of and putting in a 3 spd automatic lol.
Sand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > V6 and Hot4 Tech