6.0 Turbo Issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 21:34   #1 (permalink)
6.0 Nightmare

6.0 Turbo Issue

So yet another issue with my 2004 6.0 Powerstroke.

I changed the thermostat on my truck and then changed the oil. Once I was finished put everything back together. Fired it up checking for leaks and to ensure everything was all good.

Took the truck on a test drive and immediately realized there was an issue with the Turbo and back pressure through the air cleaner.

Took it the next day to my mechanic, said the turbo was dirty an needed to be removed, taken a part and cleaned. This was done, picked up my truck and it has same symptoms, barking out of
The air cleaner, loss of power and very black smoke out of the tail pipe.

We then decide the turbo is bad and replace it. Get back in an drive it, same problem!! So I am hoping maybe someone else has experienced the same issue and knows the remedy? Tonight I was told it possibly could be the torque converter causing issues between the turbo and the engine? I have no idea, and have not had my truck in 7 days now.

Would like to hear some ideas and/or a resolution. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
6.0 Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 22:22   #2 (permalink)
6.0 Nightmare

Re: 6.0 Turbo Issue

Guess the official name is Turbo barking. There are some debates weather this is normal or not? I know my truck didn't initially do this so it leads me to believe it shouldn't. Hopefully I will get some help from you Ford folks on here. Thanks again.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:24   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Under certain conditions it can be normal. I would expect to hear it under any normal conditions tho. The sound is caused by air rushing back through the air filter. Usually caused by a turbo issue. Could be a bad VGT solenoid,stuck turbo, EBP issue, or other problems leading to faulty readings. Was the turbo he put on new? Are there any exhaust leaks?Especially on the turbo inlet pipes.

r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 19:12   #4 (permalink)
6.0 Nightmare

No exhaust leaks and the Turbo is brand new and yet still the same issues. My mechanic is perplexed and this is what he does. Looks like its gonna be a long process. The "Turbo Bark" was not there when I first purchased the vehicle and came out of nowhere. I was hoping to find someone who had experienced this problem and knows the repair for it.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:57   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Any way to monitor data stream? EBP ,BARO,MAP all need to be about the same KOEO. Need to check that, was the VGT solenoid replaced with the turbo? Is It a Ford turbo?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:37   #6 (permalink)
6.0 Nightmare

The turbo was purchased through Ford. As far as the data stream, I would assume my mechanic will do that. After replacing the turbo and ensuring no leaks, I am banking on a sensor or electrical issue. I am not there first hand to know what he is doing, just trying to educate myself on what it could be. Appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:55   #7 (permalink)
6.0 Nightmare

Problem resolved. After removing and cleaning the original Turbo and reinstalling it, "turbo bark" was still there. Ordered a new Turbo and had it installed, "turbo bark" still there. Uggh!! Begged them to replace the EBP sensor just in case there was some damage to it, the tried that, "turbo bark" still there. Long story short and 16 days later, two rental cars and everyone's nerves being tested, Ford was contacted to give them another Turbo just in case, "turbo bark"
Gone!! It was the turbo all along. Finally got my truck back, it runs great! Better performance then pre "turbo bark." Until the next issue arises, appreciate your feedback.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:11   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Glad it's fixed. Surprised they didn't already retest new turbo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech