7.3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 01:50   #1 (permalink)

I have a 93 ford bought in 99. the motor was replaced before I got it. It only has about 25000 miles on it. Hers the question. I dont really know much about diesels and had this problem back a few years ago. It ran fine then one day it had a problem starting, seemed fuel wasnt getting to the engine so I think. It would have to crank for quite a while before starting, even when warm after letting sit for an hour. I could smell fuel but wouldnt start. Once started it was fine. After doing this for a few weeks it would run my batteries down. Well It has been sitting now for over 2 years and I want to get this up and running again, heres my questions. What could have caused this and now that it has been sitting for so long what would it take to get it going again? Any rough estimates on what it may cost to get it going? Im sure the tank will have to be drained. It had 1/4 tank when left.
orionkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2004, 17:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: 7.3

If you clean out the tank and maybe blow out any fuel remaining in the system, it should start ok (it'll take a while, jump it off a car with a big batt/alternator). The problem could have been caused by a faulty glow plug circuit (i.e. glow plugs not working/not working to their full potential) Check this out if you can. other than that, dirty injectors can cause slow starts. A bottle of injector cleaner through the system may fix this, of you might have to pop out the injectors and get them cleaned by an expert. Hope this helps.

-Stu :)
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 17:59   #3 (permalink)

Re: 7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionkc
I have a 93 ford bought in 99. the motor was replaced before I got it. It only has about 25000 miles on it. Hers the question. I dont really know much about diesels and had this problem back a few years ago. It ran fine then one day it had a problem starting, seemed fuel wasnt getting to the engine so I think. It would have to crank for quite a while before starting, even when warm after letting sit for an hour. I could smell fuel but wouldnt start. Once started it was fine. After doing this for a few weeks it would run my batteries down. Well It has been sitting now for over 2 years and I want to get this up and running again, heres my questions. What could have caused this and now that it has been sitting for so long what would it take to get it going again? Any rough estimates on what it may cost to get it going? Im sure the tank will have to be drained. It had 1/4 tank when left.
ok i had the same thing once
i found the the return fule lines were old and creaked so i replaced all of them
if you look on top of your injectors if thay look wet that could be your problem
wallacelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech