8.3 Cummins Turbo Diesel in a F-250 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 14:46   #1 (permalink)

8.3 Cummins Turbo Diesel in a F-250

Well I have a 89 f-250 with the motor already pulled and I can get a full running 8.3 cummins turbo diesel with a 6 spd, drive shaft, intercooler, rear end and harness, everything and all already pulled also. Is it possible to install this motor in my truck? I know I need a custom driveshaft and I have to resupport the frame, mounts, etc etc etc and all thats taken care of not a problem. new front end and rear suspension, I would plan to use rear air suspension from the truck it was from and then modify the rear end for single wheels instead of dual, and have it custom sized if need be. I know this is a total remake but I would like to do it, would this motor EVER fit under the hood? or am I a crazed maniac? Also I can get these parts from a ford cheap already all taken frame was broke on both sides in middle and now the guy cant sell the parts and needs to get something for them. any help would be appreciated guys. thanks! also: comes with the diesel tank and everything need to get fuel.
dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 18:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: 8.3 Cummins Turbo Diesel in a F-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldude
Well I have a 89 f-250 with the motor already pulled and I can get a full running 8.3 cummins turbo diesel with a 6 spd, drive shaft, intercooler, rear end and harness, everything and all already pulled also. Is it possible to install this motor in my truck? I know I need a custom driveshaft and I have to resupport the frame, mounts, etc etc etc and all thats taken care of not a problem. new front end and rear suspension, I would plan to use rear air suspension from the truck it was from and then modify the rear end for single wheels instead of dual, and have it custom sized if need be. I know this is a total remake but I would like to do it, would this motor EVER fit under the hood? or am I a crazed maniac? Also I can get these parts from a ford cheap already all taken frame was broke on both sides in middle and now the guy cant sell the parts and needs to get something for them. any help would be appreciated guys. thanks! also: comes with the diesel tank and everything need to get fuel.
ANything is possible , boils down to what the tape measure tells you and what the actual worth is when done.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 18:38   #3 (permalink)

why do you want to put a dodge guts in a Ford??

thats way beyond me!
Old 03-05-2007, 10:01   #4 (permalink)

A lot of work, but it could be done.

A couple years ago did a bunch of research on 2500 and 3500 Dodge trucks with Cummins and after reading hundreds of posts on tdr decided no skip the Cummins/Ram idea and just stick with 99+ 7.3 Ford's. The Cummins may get better fuel mileage than the 7.3 or 6.0 diesels for that matter but the Cummins is known for a few issues and the Dodge trucks are plagued with issues, tranny's front ends, dashes, and door seals on the newer ones.

5.9 issues are #53 block (boat anchor), injector pump failures ($1K a pop) lift pump failures (a joke), and they also have cps failure issues.

Find a 99.5 to 00 7.3 motor and you'll be golden.
99 Neon RT, 86 GLHS Shelby Omni, 65 Mustang V8
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 19:56   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strõkër View Post
why do you want to put a dodge guts in a Ford??

thats way beyond me!
Stroker, I think you're a little confused.. He never said anything about a 5.9 Cummins (which was available in Ford medium duty trucks, anyway). But he said 8.3L Cummins, which is in no way affiliated with Dodge, I'm not even sure if it's ever been available in a Dodge, I know firsthand that it came in Ford medium duty trucks because I've seen F650/750 type trucks with the 8.3L Cummins, and it's not even in the same engine family as the 5.9L. Not to mention that right now the standard engine and the only available diesel for an F650/750 is a 6.7L Cummins. That's where I'd source my engine for a Cummins swap. That way Dodge guys have nothing on me.
JamesJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech