Diesel Fuel in coolant reservoir - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 11:58   #1 (permalink)

confused Diesel Fuel in coolant reservoir

While driving I got a strong smell of diesel fuel in the cab of the truck. Upon further investigation I found that raw diesel was flowing out the of the coolant reservior. Any idea on how diesel is entering the coolant system.
teaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 17:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: Diesel Fuel in coolant reservoir

While driving I got a strong smell of diesel fuel in the cab of the truck. Upon further investigation I found that raw diesel was flowing out the of the coolant reservior. Any idea on how diesel is entering the coolant system. I should have also mentioned my truck is a 2002 F350 Super Duty with 7.3L power stroke with 247,000 kms.
Old 03-20-2007, 20:13   #3 (permalink)

I have heard of diesel in the oil, but not diesel in the coolant. You sure its not just pressure blowing water out? Could smell like diesel, mix a little oil in and it could look like it as well. I would guess its not going to be good. Pressure in the radiator usually suggests gaskets or cracks on or in the engine. Any steam from the exhaust, low boost pressure things of that nature? Really bad mileage all of a sudden? Power?
Sand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 20:35   #4 (permalink)

mad Re: Diesel Fuel in coolant reservoir

Thanks Sand1, it is diesel. It is definitely raw diesel, it is coming out overflow of the coolant system. I spoke with a diesel injection mechanic, who said that one of the injection cylinders must have a crack and is forcing diesel into the coolant system, that surrounds the outside of the cylinders. Apparently they have to remove all of the injectors and then pull all 8 injection cylinders to find the crack. Sounds like it will be costly.
Old 03-20-2007, 20:48   #5 (permalink)

Yeah...its going to be. I dont know what your budget is and how much you want to keep the truck. With that in mind, you could fix only whats wrong and get it going, or you could look at a complete overhaul, buying a rebuilt shortblock or buying one from a salvage yard. If I wanted to keep the truck, I would probably buy a rebuilt shortblock and go from there. No matter how you look at it, if its a cracked cylinder the engine has to come out and be torn down. They may want to sleeve the bad cylinder.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:24   #6 (permalink)
wwb

The block will almost certainly be just fine..... if there's a crack around one of the injectors, you'll need to replace one of the heads, though.
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 19:11   #7 (permalink)

BAH lol. I was thinking cracked cylinder as in block, sorry if I scared ya any. Yeah the block in probably fine.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:58   #8 (permalink)

Doesn't sound like its too big of a deal. Since it is a 2002 it will be harder to get to the injectors. You should maybe just compare prices with different shops around where you live. I'm sure though, it will be a lot cheaper than going out and getting a new engine or truck. If you have the time and skill it will be a whole lot cheaper to do it yourself.
Old 04-05-2007, 18:25   #9 (permalink)

confused Re: Diesel Fuel in coolant reservoir

Having same problem, engine runs fine no power loss but I noticed a layer of clear liquid on top of the coolant. I had also smelled diesel, open hood and small amount was running down plastic. my truck is 2002 f250 wirh 115,000 miles. Please let me know what it turns out to be.
thanks
Donovan
skiffamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 18:34   #10 (permalink)

Does anyone know if the fuel filter, or engine fuel lines have a fuel-to-coolant heat exchanger?

found this test on internet:
First off how many miles are on this thing cuz you might simply be looking a injector o-ring that are slowly leaking fuel into the coolant. You might try pressuring up the coolant system to see how big your leak is. Think of it along the lines of a injector balloon test. Remove the filter housing and take a balloon and secure it on the end of each fuel line going to the heads. Pressure up the coolant system and watch for a balloon to fill up. This way you can at least isolat a head. As far as injector cups go, Ford says you must remove heads from engine, however, get some dum-dum or equivalent and plug the bottom of the sleeve with it, install tap and hammer it out. This only works for the front sleeves as the back ones cannot be accessed. Good luck!!
skiffamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech