F250 help? starting/relay? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2007, 11:44   #1 (permalink)

F250 help? starting/relay?

I have an 86 F250 that won't start. Yesterday the glow plugs indicator was flashing on and off. Today it won't even come on when I turn the key and the truck won't start.
Recently had some work done and the mechanic replaced one bad glow plug, said the rest were fine.
I just moved and get this- there isnt a single diesel repair shop within 40 miles. NOT ONE.
Auto parts place said its most likely the relay. Quoted me 13.99 for it.
Other things I've read said possibly a fuse.

so my questions are:
if its a fuse, which one- and is it placed with the other fuses or somewhere else?
and if its the relay, how to I find it and replace it?

my AAA won't do a tow to the closest repair shop- this sucks, I have somewhere to be tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to sound like a helpless female just need some advice!!!!

THANKS!
BK Akitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 15:17   #2 (permalink)
wasnt me

Re: F250 help? starting/relay?

i work on 89 f350's with the 7.3 quite often, i'm guessing its the same style engine as yours. sounds like the glowplug controller which is on the back of the engine, thick red wire should have constant power, smaller wire next to it power with the key on and the wavy piece of metal(glow plugs connection) should also have power then too. also check the ground which is close by. if theres no power there is most likely a problem somewhere on the passenger inner fender, thats where the main power is and the switched power which has a fusible link that can corrode or just plain burn out over time.
Old 01-13-2007, 13:07   #3 (permalink)

replaced the relay and nada (but hey, I figured it out for myself!!!) glow plug ready lights inside still don't come one. all other lights, indicators, evertyhing electrical, works fine.

all cords/wires seem to be in good shape, no outward signs of corrosion or breakage. actually found the 'fusible link' item,kinda buried under other wires but there. how would I tell if it's bad????

as for the glow plug controller- is that the item mounted on the inside pass side near battery that the wires from the relay run to/from, loks a little like the relay? there's one post on there that doesn't have anything conencted to it- should it?

or should I just replace the plugs themselves? can I do this myself? I have no way to get this to a shop, we're in BFE.
BK Akitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 14:26   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

As far as testing the fusible link, most suggest pulling on it from both sides, if it tends to stretch, it's blown. Personally, I prefer to probe the wire on both sides with a test light. This tells me definitely whether it's good or not. Others may not agree with testing that way.... just my preference.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 15:14   #5 (permalink)
wasnt me

thats the starter solenoid by the battery and i believe thats where the main power for the glow plug controller comes from, the controller is on the rear of the engine behind the air filter, has a solenoid on it with a wavy piece of metal connected, both of these parts are bolted on top of the controller. usually all comes in one unit when you buy a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech