Thinking about going Diesel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 08:54   #1 (permalink)

Thinking about going Diesel

What are some benefits that you have with diesel, that you do not have with gasoline? Is diesel better? Any information would be helpful thank you,
Angie
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 12:45   #2 (permalink)
wwb

Re: Thinking about going Diesel

A diesel, though more expensive initially, is expected to live much longer than a gasoline engine (although poor maintenance will kill this advantage).

Because of the higher cylinder pressure and typically undersquare design, a diesel has greater torque than a gas engine of comparable displacement, and is better suited for hauling.

A diesel engine has no throttle - hence no pumping losses, and because of the high compression ratio (typically around 20:1) has a greater adiabatic expansion ratio..... engineering talk for better fuel milage.
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 13:32   #3 (permalink)

hey, thanks for the reply back, but just one more question for ya.. so if diesel is the way to go, then which is better.. Ford, Dodge, or Chevy? I'm thinking ford.. but ya never know which is better...>>>
Old 12-18-2006, 16:27   #4 (permalink)

Ford by far.. best power and handling while towing.
jryan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:11   #5 (permalink)
wwb

The Cummins is the best of the bunch..... but I just can't bring myself to tolerate the rest of the Dodge package. GM is doing their darndest to turn a real truck into a car with their push-button 4 wheel drive and their "no manual transmission" policy.
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:34   #6 (permalink)

I have to agree with you there. GM used to be tolerable, but I haven't had the best luck with a dodge or chevy truck. These Mazdas and Nissan crap though.. is made right out of the factory for junk yards to collect..I would take a dodge or chevy over those any day of the week. Ford seems to be the best way to go. For right now, I have only a couple diesel trucks that I would have any amount of interest in and they are both Ford.
Ford Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:41   #7 (permalink)
00gtr1

coming from my ford dealership experience the 6.0 has really hurt fords customer base. The 7.3 was and still is an excellent engine, It had its share of problems too but I don't think as bad as the 6.0. If your are looking at a ford 6.0 you can't slack on oil changes and fuel filters this engine is very picky about maintaince. The most of the problems we see in the dealership are from lack of oil changes and changing of the fuel filters. and don't let the 6.0 idle all day, and don't be afraid to beat on it, the 6.0 needs to be driven hard. As far as GM and dodge I think for 2008 the playing field has been leveled because the big three have had to redesign their engines for emissions. so its going to be a whole new ballgame and with the new 6.4 coming out ford will regain its customer base back with a vengeance
00gtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:17   #8 (permalink)

I know someone that has a 7.3 diesel and so far, its been a great truck. I don't know much about 6.0. I do not think that I want a 6.0 though. I mean maintanace insn't a problem for me, but I haven't heard too many positive things about 6.0 diesel.
Old 12-29-2006, 20:56   #9 (permalink)

hmmm, haven't had a problem with mine yet, *knocks on wood*

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech