turbos on 7.3 noneturbo motors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 17:29   #1 (permalink)

Question turbos on 7.3 noneturbo motors

i have a 7.3 none turbo and wanta know can you put a turbo on it
with out hurting the motor. if so what kind / size and were to
get 1. i like banks the best couse of the belt drive and no need to
repumb the exhaust.
and the cost of this is needed too
thanks guys
wallacelew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 18:37   #2 (permalink)
wasnt me

Re: turbos on 7.3 noneturbo motors

personally i wouldnt just throw a turbo on one of those things unless its pretty low boost, those motors have a hard time staying together without a turbo. if i was going to turbo a 7.3 i would rebuild it and use synthetic oil. i'd hate to see you spend a fortune on a turbo setup, get it all in there, then throw a rod 2 months later.the only 7.3s i work on are 89-90 model years, what year is yours, what mileage, and what kind of abuse and service has it had?
Old 01-17-2005, 16:18   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390wagon
personally i wouldnt just throw a turbo on one of those things unless its pretty low boost, those motors have a hard time staying together without a turbo. if i was going to turbo a 7.3 i would rebuild it and use synthetic oil. i'd hate to see you spend a fortune on a turbo setup, get it all in there, then throw a rod 2 months later.the only 7.3s i work on are 89-90 model years, what year is yours, what mileage, and what kind of abuse and service has it had?
hi
mine is a 1993 F250 - 7.3 non-turbo with 235000 on it
i've heard that the bottom ends not strong enuf for a turbo
is it true? mine runs like it did when i bough it new . i've really taken cear of it
oil and lube jobs ever 5000 miles and never go over more then a 100 or so.
it doesnt smoke or use oil between lub jobs.
i just put a new set of injuctors in it 800 miles back. its given me the best service of any truck i've had.
i just want to increse my fule millage is all i dont need any more power.
thanks for your input .
givr me more if you know about getting more mpg ok ?
thanks
wallace
Old 01-19-2005, 15:32   #4 (permalink)
wasnt me

with you being the only owner and taking good care of it i think a turbo would be fine. where does it mount on those? are you getting a kit for it from banks or whomever or are you getting a factory setup from the boneyard?
Old 01-24-2005, 16:25   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390wagon
with you being the only owner and taking good care of it i think a turbo would be fine. where does it mount on those? are you getting a kit for it from banks or whomever or are you getting a factory setup from the boneyard?
hi
im not sure yet what kind i'll use
im pretty good at making things i need so i may build my own tubes and ell's but get a new turbo like banks . i like banks couse no header changes to be made. just pully's and a belt drive
wallace
Old 02-26-2005, 17:09   #6 (permalink)

I HAVE AN 1993 F250 7.3 TURBO. i just had to replace it. I bought a non turbo 7.3 with 71,000 miles and had to swap my parts over to it so i know what you are getting into. Took me 32 hours to pull and change over parts and reinstall it. Garage wanted $1600.00 to do the job but i figuered i could do it myself. So i made 50.00 an hour. And now that i did one i could shave off about 4 hours.You will need exhuste pipe work,different valve covers. Left side for PV mount, Right side for glowplug controller mount. You will need different injector pump and differ injectors. Best thing for you to do is find a truck that has one on it and take some pictures and make a list of things you will need,I don;t agree with the guy that said they don't hold up with a TURBO.I put 176,000 HARD miles on mine before it started leaking coolent into oil. I'll try to help you out the best i can. Good luck,WHISKERS
Gray Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 16:43   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Whiskers
I HAVE AN 1993 F250 7.3 TURBO. i just had to replace it. I bought a non turbo 7.3 with 71,000 miles and had to swap my parts over to it so i know what you are getting into. Took me 32 hours to pull and change over parts and reinstall it. Garage wanted $1600.00 to do the job but i figuered i could do it myself. So i made 50.00 an hour. And now that i did one i could shave off about 4 hours.You will need exhuste pipe work,different valve covers. Left side for PV mount, Right side for glowplug controller mount. You will need different injector pump and differ injectors. Best thing for you to do is find a truck that has one on it and take some pictures and make a list of things you will need,I don;t agree with the guy that said they don't hold up with a TURBO.I put 176,000 HARD miles on mine before it started leaking coolent into oil. I'll try to help you out the best i can. Good luck,WHISKERS
thats ok thanks for the info. but i found that if i use a paxton blower i can do the same thing without all the pipe and header changes.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Diesel Tech