'02 escape - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 19:41   #1 (permalink)

'02 escape

I am now the proud owner of a 2002 ford escape, but like always with any used car, there are some issues i'd like to get resolved.

#1, is the check engine light. I had it scanned, said EGR valve. If I just replace the valve, since it's a $30 part, will it fix the problem, or is it possible something else could be throwing the code ? (P1014 i think it was, or p1041)

#2, the moonroof doesn't seem to seal all the way. When I push the button to close it, it closes, but if you look through the top, the passenger side seems to not sit correctly, and there's a gap. took it through the carwash and got soaked, hahahaha! It looks like the two torx screws on the passenger side slide rail are loose. Does anybody have a picture of how the moonroof sits with it fully closed, so I can line it back up and tighten the screws?

Finally, on another question related to the EGR valve, once I replace that, is it possible that it will stop it from making funny noises once in a while after driving it for a while? It sounds like it's idling rough, but it doesn't have the feel of rough idle, just the sound.

EDIT: I also want to note, that when it's making the noise, if I shift out of drive into any other gear (park, neutral, or reverse), the noise goes away. I don't think it's the transmission as it shifts and operates fine even during the noise.

Please get back to me, and once I get her detailed up completely, i'll get some pictures up!
ex0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 18:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: '02 escape

UPDATE:

All of the previous problems were fixed. I replaced the egr valve and got a CEL for egr sensor faulty, so I replaced that, too. Reset light, and no more problems for CEL.

Another problem did arise though, as I was working on the egr valve. I noticed that the elbow that goes into the intake manifold (I am assuming for the pcv valve), had a hole in it and it was collapsed, so I went and got a replacement part. Put it on, and it started running better, but there still seems to be a vacuum leak from somewhere, as I can hear it hissing inside the motor near where the hose was replaced. I checked all the hoses around there, and can't find any leaking. It doesn't appear to be a HUGE leak, but it's a constant hiss so it's definately coming from somewhere.
ex0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 19:22   #3 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage
Re: '02 escape

If you think there is a leak in the vac system, but it's so small you can't find it, but you can hear it, then a smoke test might show you exactly where it is.

I'm not to quite up to date on how the test it rightfully done on your model, so I'll let someone with the right info answer that.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum