02 Escape no power - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 14:22   #1 (permalink)

02 Escape no power

Hello I have a 02 Escape we replaced the motor in (long story) anyways last night my daughter was driving it and it lost all power she said it barely got above 15 mph,
its a 3.0 I believe it was out of an 03 , I looked at it when I got home today and saw the egr valve it had a hole in it have never seen that happen before but there is always a first time,
after I replaced that and started it up it had an exhaust leak which it didnt before sounds like its coming from right above the cat converter and it still wont do more than 15 mph I would appreciate any and all your Ideas
Johnnym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 15:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: 02 Escape no power

Well I checked today with the local Ford Dealership and the mechanic said it sounded to him like either the maniold gaskets have blown he said that was doubtful but maybe but he also said that the converters may crack which could blow a hole in the EGR valve and that would make the engine run rough and lose power and it would be a little expensive roughly about 1100 dollars does that sound about right to you folks
Johnnym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:17   #3 (permalink)
canuck

A clogged cat converter will increase back pressure and cause the vehicle to operate in what's known as a fail safe mode, which is generally first gear only and at low speeds. If you can, get a second opinion about the manifold gaskets as the mechanic that you mentioned in your last post doesn't seem to sure what's really going on. I don't know if the price is good or not, but anything over $1K in price is definitely high and worth seeking a second opinion.

Lastly, is the engine throwing any codes (lights on dash)? If so, reading the codes will help pinpoint the source of the problem.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 14:01   #4 (permalink)

Mine did the same thing and the 1 cat converter is clogged i replaced one (the cheap one ) and it seems to be ok there has been a little hesitation in it but i was told its not related to the cat converter... the one i didnt replace was over 1000.00 if you have under 80,000 miles on it ford will replace it for free... hope this helps
tfox80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 15:17   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Emissions components have a year limit as well. I believe it's around 5-6 years or 80K, whichever comes first. The cat is the most expensive part, especially for those that live in California, USA as they are anal about controlling emissions there; cats generally cost 3x as much!

If the cat is shot (the more expensive one), check around local salvage yards as you might find one off of a low mileage vehicle for 1/4 the cost of a new one.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 20:08   #6 (permalink)

Just went thru this and thought I'd let someone else know what totally happened, The 02 escape has 3 converters, one on each exhaust manifold (the flow by converter), and a 3 way converter just before the resignator and muffler, what happened to me was one of the converters on the exhaust manifold had busted and blowed down into the 3 way converter stopping it up totally, also heard that high octane gas can do this too. hope this helps someone!! good luck
daddycary01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 20:27   #7 (permalink)

I had the same identical thing happen to my 01 Escape. Turned out to be the catalytic converter failed, and plugged up. Replaced it and all was good again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum