02 Escape wouldn't rev past 4K RPM - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 17:26   #1 (permalink)

02 Escape wouldn't rev past 4K RPM

My friend told me she was having trouble with her truck(02, 3.0 v6, auto, 4x4). If she tried to pass someone it had zero power. I drove it today and found that if I was at 55mph and punched it as if to pass someone that it would not go past 4K rpm and would not accelerate at all. It didn't lose power, just wouldn't produce any and it made a few strange noises. I found that it will do the same thing if you are parked. I sat and steadily revved it and when it reached 4k it just bounced off it like it was hitting a rev limiter. It's never done this until yesterday. No check engine lights. Any thoughts? Thanks.
drivetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2007, 08:07   #2 (permalink)
00gtr1

Re: 02 Escape wouldn't rev past 4K RPM

Most likey the direct clutch in the transmission is smoked causing the trans to slip in 3rd gear or a forced downshift. How many miles on the escape? It still could have a different problem mabye a fuel pump cutting out. but I'm a trans tech and the way you explain it it souds like the transmission. As far as not reving up in park that is the rev limiter. When the vehicle is in park the PCM won't let the engine rev up. hope this helps
00gtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:52   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. The Escape has just under 92,000 miles on it. If it were the trans, would it be throwing any codes for something like what you described?

I've posted this on other Escape forums and someone else seemed to think it was a plugged cat. I did a search and found several guys describing the same thing and that was in fact their problem. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
drivetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:14   #4 (permalink)
00gtr1

If it is the trans the overdrive light on the dash will start to flash. And it will store a code. With that many mile i suspect the direct clutch its a common failure on higher mileage units. Now my experience with plugged exhaust is this usually the ones I've seen if the exhaust is plugged the car would hardly even run at all. especially escapes because the cats and exhaust manifolds are one unit. Now how has the vehicle been running up to this time? has it been missing? or has the check engine light been on? if you have been driving around with an ignition miss unburned fuel gets trapped in the cats and melts them. Also prior to a cat failure the check engine light would be on and u will get a P0420 or a P0430 codes, those are catalyst system efficiency codes. hope this helps keep me posted
Old 02-03-2007, 17:20   #5 (permalink)
00gtr1

hey drivetrain found any problems yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum