'04 2.0 MT XLS, Ignition Lock Cylinder Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 18:40   #1 (permalink)

'04 2.0 MT XLS, Ignition Lock Cylinder Problem

A couple of days ago I was unable to advance the ignition key past the locked position. After much jiggling, I was able to start and limp the car home. I thought perhaps the key I had was worn, but I tried my factory second and that wouldn't work either. I was then able to get the lock cylinder out (again after more jiggling to get it to the "on" position), and am at the point of ordering a new lock cylinder, assuming that that is the problem (car has 380M miles).
My car has the key chip in the plastic handle of the key, not on the metal blade.
What is involved in resetting a new lock cylinder with my same keys? I believe that I don't need a "scan tool" if I am keeping the same keys. When I look at a new cylinder on Rock Auto, there is the cylinder and what appears to be several springs and bladed cams. This is a Ford (Motorcraft) lock cylinder I would be ordering.
Thanks.
FE385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 03:52   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: '04 2.0 MT XLS, Ignition Lock Cylinder Problem

On the ones I've done it was just a case of replacing the ignition barrel blades / springs one at a time from the kit supplied till you had the correct ones fitted and lined up o.k when key inserted before refitting into the cylinder .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:04   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Found this which gives you the general method for replacing the blades .

Old 10-22-2012, 18:11   #4 (permalink)

R.S.,Thanks very much. Out of curiosity, do you know the mechanism by which the chip allows unlocking of the cylinder/starting of the engine? is the chip connected to the blade of the key electrically within the plastic handle extension, and therefore to other circuitry when engaged in the lock cylinder? If so, then is the ignition switch the companion device that is signalled and allows the car to be started?Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:40   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

This explains ,

Old 11-18-2012, 07:04   #6 (permalink)

R.S., thanks again for the videos - they were spot-on. i finished the car yesterday and everything works great.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:37   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Glad to help , good everything now o.k .Thanks for update .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum