05 Mariner Temp Controller - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 06:32   #1 (permalink)

05 Mariner Temp Controller

I've got a 05 Mercury Mariner. The temp control is malfunctioning. I haven't looked into it much yet, but started here. What controls the switch from cold(blue) to warm(red)? Is it vacuum or electric? I can set it on full heat(red) and you can hear the door move, or whatever switches under the dash and will hold heat for a short time, then get cold after a bit. You can re-slam the knob a few times from blue to red, and hear the door move every time, and then it will hold heat for a bit again, then taper off to cold. Now, would that be vacuum controlled and I probably have a leak somewhere? Thanks.
Musgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 06:55   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 05 Mariner Temp Controller

That sounds more like a flow issue. Either your pump is not pushing at full capacity or your core is plgged. Third option could be that a heater line is kinked, but that's rare, there's usually not enough slack in the hose to kink it.
Old 11-05-2012, 13:29   #3 (permalink)

You think? Even for how it will work for awhile, then cool down, then will work again when cycling the knob again? All in a matter of say 5 minutes?
Old 11-05-2012, 17:26   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Yup, been working on pumps for quite a few years, I'd be looking at the pump first.
Old 11-05-2012, 17:49   #5 (permalink)

Just to be clear you're referring to the water pump, yes? How do you test that?
Old 11-05-2012, 18:29   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Not really a good test that I know of that's definitive, but, if you run the heat on high with the engine running, check the differential temperature across the heater hoses, there shouldn't be more than maybe 15 degrees. They used to have a weep hole that gave you a tattle tail if the seals were gone, but now they just port it internally. Play in the pump shaft would be a definitive indicator, but you would normally hear that. And last, pull the pump and see what the impeller looks like. Newer pumps seem to be more cheaply made than ever before. Being that it's 8 years old, if your mileage is high, pump could be a suspect. There are a few things to look at prior to pulling the pump, if the engine temperature is fluctuating with heater output, you may have a sticky thermostat. If you've never had the coolant system flushed, it might be fouling in the heater core, but this doesn't sound like it. Something else that occurred to me just as I was about to hit the reply button, The mariner has multiple fans, they could be causing a large swing in temperature if they aren't staging properly, but you should see this with the temperature gauge on the dash.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:55   #7 (permalink)

I appreciate the response, I will try to get to it this week or by the weekend hopefully and report back my findings. Again, thanks for the info.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musgle View Post
I've got a 05 Mercury Mariner. The temp control is malfunctioning. I haven't looked into it much yet, but started here. What controls the switch from cold(blue) to warm(red)? Is it vacuum or electric? I can set it on full heat(red) and you can hear the door move, or whatever switches under the dash and will hold heat for a short time, then get cold after a bit. You can re-slam the knob a few times from blue to red, and hear the door move every time, and then it will hold heat for a bit again, then taper off to cold. Now, would that be vacuum controlled and I probably have a leak somewhere? Thanks.
Have you ever been really low on coolant? If you have air trapped in your heater core, it won't work very good.

I know on my '09 there is supposed to be a air bleeder valve for this mounted on the firewall but I'll be darn if I could find it! Your supposed to open the valve and add coolant to the bottle till it comes out of the valve. I think its location is in the owner's manual.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum