05 secape hybrid not starting - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 07:30   #1 (permalink)

05 secape hybrid not starting

I am having problems with my 05 escape hybrid.. On occasion when turning key I get nothing.. no starting and no sounds..Today the car was dead, checked battery and showed 8.3 volts... after leaving the key on for a few I noticed a clicking under the dash then a few minutes later the interior lights and dash lit up then started... What is going on here???? Help
tapinto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 09:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: 05 secape hybrid not starting

It's a Hybrid, so the 12V battery isn't used for starting although IIRC, it's used the close a starting relay. The 12V battery is charged by a DC>DC converter, no alternator on it.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:17   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Missed the " hybrid " in the post , got to read them more carefully !! Thanks for letting me know and info . posted .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:20   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Dont know much about that car but found this on checking , might explain .

" If you leave the key in on position it lets the 300v batt charge the 12v batt."
If your 12v battery is dead, putting the key in the "on" position will do nothing because there's no 12v power available to energize the HV relay and the DC-DC converter. The high voltage cannot pass through the ignition switch, that would be totally unsafe, so a 12v relay is used to cut the HV battery off from the rest of the system when the vehicle is off. Bottom line is that you need some 12v to start the process of charging the battery, and that's what the jumpstart button is supposed to do.

If you still have a little bit of power left in the 12v battery, then yes it might work, but maybe not, depending on just how dead it is."
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum