08 Escape 4 cyl - no crank - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 03:29   #1 (permalink)

08 Escape 4 cyl - no crank

Just experienced a no start situation - thought it was the battery - installed new battery - no codes - Just won't turn over or crank - trans. either in neutral or park has same results. Could this be a starter relay or is there a fusible link in the starter circuit?
Jimb1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 04:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: 08 Escape 4 cyl - no crank

Yes, the starter relay is in the battery junction box under the hood along with a fuse for it. Look in your owner's manual for locations.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:19   #3 (permalink)

It could also be the PATS, passive ant-theft system, which will disable the starter. Does the light flash on the dash when the vehicle is parked? Does it flash when you try to start the engine? If no flashes when parked, something is wrong. If it flashes when you try to start the engine, something is wrong.
It could also be the MLP sensor switch. Manual Lever Position sensor that tells the computer where the transmission lever is positioned. It disables the starter except in N and P.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 18:21   #4 (permalink)

There is something in the owners manual about this. Somewhere around the glove box there is a hatch. Behind the hatch should be a button to push to make it able to start again. I forget what it's called but it's in the manual.
08Escapeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 20:08   #5 (permalink)
canuck

The button you refer to is to reset the fuel pump should the vehicle think it's been involved in a major accident or even a roll over for safety reasons. My guess would be on a faulty crank position sensor, which is a bit odd in a vehicle three years old.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:37   #6 (permalink)

A crank position sensor will not stop a starter from turning the crankshaft. It senses where the crankshaft is in its rotation. When it fails, the ignition system will not know when to fire the spark plugs. The engine will crank, but likely not start.
If this vehicle is still not running two weeks later, it must not be very useful. jimb1239 has not posted anything since his original post.
tom
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03   #7 (permalink)
canuck

I gather a solution was not yet found on his part, or it was, and he fled until another problem arises.

I meant to suggest that there might be another problem associated with the starter not wanting to function properly as electrical 'gremlins' can be very hard to diagnose if he chooses not to do the obvious and test the components he believes are faulty in the first place.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:38   #8 (permalink)

Heaven help you if you have a breakdown anywhere but in your own driveway these days. You need instruments to tell what is working and what is not. I am glad I do not have [at least I don't think I have] one of those things that will disable the starter motor unless you have the right key. Well, maybe a PATS will do that. I just don't know.
Not only do you have to be concerned about the starter, solenoid, relay, and battery condition, you have to make sure that the anti-theft system isn't disabling all the above because you didn't hold your mouth right when you put the key in the ignition. So it seems, anyway. Layered complexity only adds to the probability of failure.
As the mechanics say: "Billable hours are good."
{actually stolen from computer contractors...}
tom
Old 05-23-2011, 16:42   #9 (permalink)
canuck

Computer contractors? I avoid those as well as mechanics whenever possible!

Especially after a local shop failed to depressurize a fuel line in a vehicle before cutting through it (the media didn't elaborate) nearly taking out everyone in the shop and the adjacent building. Hmm.

One thing I'll never be a fan of is the self-park systems on newer vehicles (even the 2012 Focus!). You just have to be able to eek through the driving test and let the cars do the real work for you. Only to find out during the next blizzard the sensors are covered up and it parks you into the front of an already parked vehicle. Oops.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum