'08 Escape shut down dilemma - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 18:56   #1 (permalink)

'08 Escape shut down dilemma

Hi all,
I own a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. I've had the car shutdown on me once a few months ago on the highway. Car disables itself, I drift over to the side, turn it off, and it starts right up again. Ten minutes later it does it again, but starts right after I turn it off. Did this the entire ride almost 2 hours
I have a ELM software program to turn my laptop into a scanner, which it works great, can pull and clear trouble codes. After the highway incident I plugged the scanner in and got no codes . Thought it was just a fluke so I thought I'd wait to see if it happened again.
It hadn't until today, 2 months since the last incident, it happened this time when the wife was driving. Same scenario, disables itself, turn it off, starts right up. No codes stored again.
I'm thinking it may be the water pump as I've read they were an issue, the original ones don't work well apparently, and can lead to the engine overheating and the computer shutting down the car.

Anybody ever have this happen to them before?

My scanner reads 3 modules, are there other modules that might have a trouble code?

I'm stumped on what it is. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joe
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 19:09   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: '08 Escape shut down dilemma

Yes there are other modules you scanner won't read. Other tests it won't perform also. Going to need to be checked by a capable scanner to determine if any codes related. That's going to be a starting point.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 19:22   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-clar View Post
Yes there are other modules you scanner won't read. Other tests it won't perform also. Going to need to be checked by a capable scanner to determine if any codes related. That's going to be a starting point.

Thanks, was wondering that. Was hoping not to have to take it to the dealership if I didn't have to. I know these types scanners are limited as they can't access the ABS or SIR modules, but I thought they could detect any engine related codes. I bought this car used. Had no problems with it until now. Maybe it's because the car will be paid off in less than 2 months
Old 04-09-2014, 04:54   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Remember the hybrid also has many other modules associated with the batteries,engine, hybrid Trans ,most generic scanners won't do much with any of these modules.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:26   #5 (permalink)

This site might hate the plug but try this site: Ford Escape Hybrid - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars as it's mostly Escape Hybrid owners.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:10   #6 (permalink)

Have an update. So I called the Ford dealership and tell the guy the situation. He says it's $114.95 for a diagnosis and there's no guarantee they'll find out what's wrong. He does tell me that my scanner should read be able to read the code if I can get the car to do it while plugged in. Tried it, didn't work. So I took it in because I didn't know what else to do. Turns out my hunch was right. Another fellow there told me the hybrids need a specific type of scanner to pull the codes. It was the secondary coolant pump. They wanted $685 (including diagnosis) to fix it. I told them I would. Saved myself $300 doing it myself. It was a pretty simple fix. Thanks for all your input, I appreciated it. :)
Old 04-18-2014, 21:23   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Glad you got it. Changed a few electric water pumps on those.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum