08 escape transmission crack - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21   #1 (permalink)

08 escape transmission crack

i have an 08 escape and when i reached around 20,000 i noticed a oily mess on the garage floor....all fluid levels were normal....continued driving...until one day the heater smelled like i had a gas leak...so the next day took it to my repair guy and he raised it up and was shocked to see the mess that was there.
i had transmission fluid leaking out everywhere...so much so it was all over the front of the car....
turns out the part that is the transmission cooler on top and the A/C unit on the bottom was not made correctly and when it was welded it wasn't correct either and wasn't anything i did wrong or could have avoided.

he sent it to a dealer who just so happened have seen this problem the week before....
needless to say it was all replaced under warrenty, but i want to know if anyone else has experienced the same thing?
ankledolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 15:59   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 08 escape transmission crack

Damn. I haven't read anything similar about this problem. I just finished reading the reliability ratings that AJAC published and Ford and GM were above Chrysler - who was dead last on a list of about 15 manufacturers. You'd think something that simple wouldn't have made it past quality control!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:33   #3 (permalink)

I had the same transmission cooler problem occur on our 08 Escape last year. My understanding is that there's even a TSB on the issue - I recall seeing it at one point. At the time, we had to wait 3 weeks for the parts delivery of the fastening bolt, although delivery of a replacement cooler itself was not a problem. The local dealer was so frustrated with Ford that he was willing to machine a replacement bolt himself. I can't say that I was particularly impressed with the level of response that I received when I escalated this matter to Ford corporate myself. Their standard response is "work with the dealer".
antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:03   #4 (permalink)

My 08 Escape just developed the same problem over the weekend with 20,500 miles. Leaking fluid, foul burning odor coming from under the hood. I took it into the dealer this morning. There is a service bulletin (TSB 08-5-7) that was issued on 3/17/08. The repair is covered under the warranty. The trans cooler is now combined with the AC condenser so the whole assembly has to be removed.The transmission cooler will be replaced along with the updated service bolt that goes on the passenger side of the cooler. I guess they worked out the problem with the shortage of these bolts because my dealer will have my vehicle repaired today. The dealer says he's seeing a lot of Escapes coming in now with this issue. Combining the trans cooler with the AC condenser assembly sounds like another engineering cost savings idea that missed the mark. Too bad. Otherwise, the vehicle has been A+++.
Fordblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 16:13   #5 (permalink)

I'm currently experiencing this problem with my 2008 Mariner but it's a slow leak. Unfortunately, with 42K miles on it, the dealer says it's not covered under warranty. Between parts and labor, it's a whooping $750 to put in a new transmission cooler assembly. Trying to shop around....
wjsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 17:41   #6 (permalink)

To: wjsteven

Unfortunately, with 42K miles on it, the dealer says it's not covered under warranty.

Don't give up too soon. Even with 42K miles, Mercury may be able to bear some of the cost. Try calling the Mercury Customer Relationship Center at 800-392-3673. Ford knows about this problem, the service bulletin was issued back in March of 08.

You can also try another Lincoln-Mercury dealer in your area.

Hopefully, a current Ford employee reading this might be able to hook you up with a Mercury rep at Ford. They usually can do something about this sort of thing.
Fordblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum