Ford Forums banner

08 Mariner Automatic Shifter Disassembly

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
The console and shifter area of my wife's 08 Mariner have accumulated a lot of crudd, and I am trying to detail it. There are lots of crevaces for stuff to accumulate, so I am pulling it apart to clean. I got the chrome bezel and the silver-painted cap off the console.

Now I want to get the gear indicator bezel off the shifter assembly to get at all of those little windows. But the slot is not wide enough to get up and over the shift knob.

Can anybody tell me how to remove the knob?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

#2 ·
If it's like my knobs, there's a plastic cover for a screw, but it's on the front (toward the dash) of the knob. I used a screwdriver to pop off the plastic cover over the screw and then used a ratchet set in order to get the screw out due to the limited clearance. It took me a while to look and find it. I left the little plastic cover off afterward, as no one would easily see the hole for the screw anyway! Glad to know someone else takes care of their vehicles as well as I do! ...post some pics!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.