'09 Escape - where to pick up switchable 12v? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 17:33   #1 (permalink)

'09 Escape - where to pick up switchable 12v?

OK, so I finally decided to tackle my deck install this weekend; having already replaced the front speakers with Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 components (see photo here of the flush-mounted tweeters), the SANYO head unit in the XLS definitely had to go. The deck I am using is a Pioneer FH-P8000BT.

So I got to it, and wired everything up, and it sounds great. However, now I have a bit of a problem. After going through every wire in the center stack (see photo here) with a multimeter, I could only find one source of ignition-based 12v: the hot lead of the traction control button. The other sources of 12v (hot on the cigarette lighter, hot on a connector in the upper right of the stock unit, hot behind the LCD display up top) were all constant. Seemed fine, so I went ahead and wired it up.

Well, it wasn't fine. For some reason, when I tested it last night and drove it this morning, the traction control still worked and the deck shut off when I turned the key to OFF... but it switched on me this afternoon, with the traction control no longer working and the deck no longer shutting off when I turn off the car. Not good.

So I basically need to find a good spot to pick up some switchable 12v. I've heard people say "just go to the fuse box," but how the heck do I wire something off the fuse box... just smoosh it in beneath the blade fuse of my choosing? That seems a bit sketchy for a car I bought 3 weeks ago. Any suggestions? Has anyone else installed an aftermarket deck into their Escape/Mariner/Tribute by running the ACC wire separately instead of using one of those fancy XSVI interface kits?

Help me get this puppy to play nice so I can move on down the line to my amp install!

-Jeff

jbartlett79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 17:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: '09 Escape - where to pick up switchable 12v?

Don't everyone answer at once. For those who come across this thread in the future, I decided to go with one of those mini "add a fuse" things that plug into the fuse box, and I went from 10a to 10a fuse until I found one that was switched and not constant. Problem solved, no warranties voided. Stereo sounds 100x better than that tragedy they ship the vehicles with.
jbartlett79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum