Ford Forums banner

15 MPG eeesh...

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Been struggling with this for a while, have a 2005 Escape Limited 3.0 and I was under the impression that I should be getting about 18 city and anywhere between 21-24 highway.

I can never get over 16 and thats including a fair mix of highway. Is this what i should be getting or is there some room for improvement?

I've looked at the usual suspects like tire inflation, air filter, i'm trying a fuel conditioner now (not doing a hell of a lot)... I've heard talk on forums about DPFE sensors... might head down that path next.

If anyone can offer some thoughts that would be great, thanks

#2 ·
2x4 or AWD? If 2x, then you're waaay low. We've got an '06 2x, regularly 18+ city, 20-26 hwy (generally 22+, but it varies like crazy depending on speed, wind direction. 30+ at 60mph). Oh yeah, US gallon too.

bk

#3 ·
Other factors to consider are replacing some emissions components, such as O2 sensors, and even the cat converter, especially if there is 60+K on the vehicle, I'd point more toward bad O2 sensors. Normally, a check engine light will come on to notify you, but not always. Are you taking this 16mpg off the computer, or hand calculating? Computers can be off slighty. I found all of mine to be off by up to 10% in some cases. If you idle the vehicle for prolonged times (more than five minutes), it'll surprise you how fast you'll eat up fuel. Especially in drive-thru lines. If you have 50K or more, I'd also suggest getting a tune up done, more so new plugs and to make sure they're gaped properly. Remember, EPA tests vehicles on the highway cycle at 55mph. SO driving perpetually at 70mph or greater will result in worse mileage by up to 25% and closing in at 35% at 80mph. If possible, don't drive above 62mph and see how you do for mileage. If you have an AWD, it might also benefit to change the axles, transfer case and engine oil to full synthetic fluids as it'll free up some HP by lessening friction on moving parts.

#4 ·
may have solved the problem - changed 3 spark plugs. the easy ones.

one of them came out looking "really bad" for lack of a better term. didn't even bother trying to get to the back three, went for a bit of a spin and after a few KM, the mileage computer showed 600 KM till empty on a full tank - up from the previous problematic 400 KM.

quite an improvement :)

#5 ·
You might have to remove the wiper cowl to gain access to the rear three, but change them all out! Curious, what's the mileage on the vehicle?

#6 ·
My '05 3.0 fWD has 82,000 miles. I consistently get 22-26 MPG. I keep the tires rotated and inflated to 35psi ft and 36 RR, I use a K&N air filter, keep the oil changed at 5,000 miles using 5/20 wt, change the fuel filter at 30K and every third or 4th oil change I put in a bottle of injector cleaner. And though I occassionally let out all the ponies, I normally drive like there's an egg between my foot and the accelerator & try to minimize braking.

I really believe that excessive braking is what kills most MPG figures because the average driver doesn't consider the relationship between acceleration, braking and MPG. I just replaced the original brakes and tires at 80K.

Hope that's some help.

#9 ·
Going on the following from the '09 Escape which says the same all the way up to 150K.

48,000 Km (30,000 Mi)
  • Change engine oil and install a new oil filter.
  • Perform multi-point inspection (recommended).
  • Rotate tires, inspect tires for wear, measure tread depth and inspect wheel ends for end play and noise. Vehicles with dual rear wheels should only be rotated if unusual wear is noted. For vehicles with different front-to-rear tire pressures, the tire pressure must be adjusted and the tire pressure sensor training must be done.
  • Install a new cabin air filter (if equipped).
  • Install a new engine air filter (except Focus with PZEV engine).
  • Install new climate controlled seat cushion filters (if equipped).
  • Install a new fuel filter (not required for Fusion, Milan, MKZ, Edge, MKX, Taurus X, Taurus, Focus, Sable, E-Series, Expedition and Navigator with short wheelbase, F-150, Flex, MKS, Escape and Mariner).
  • Inspect automatic transmission/transaxle fluid level using the fluid level on all other vehicles (if equipped with an underhood fluid level indicator).
  • Inspect and lubricate control arms, steering linkage, steering ball joints, U-joints and driveshaft with zerk fittings (if equipped).
  • Inspect halfshaft boots (if equipped).
  • Inspect and lubricate 4WD front axle shaft U-joints (if equipped).
  • Inspect brake pads, rotors, brake linings, drums, brake lines, hoses and parking brake system.
  • Inspect engine cooling system and hoses.
  • Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.
Yes, for a '05 it's at 30K. Funny, I think my '97 Ranger had a "lifetime" fuel filter on it too.

#10 ·
Thanks, Bill.

You have to agree the a "Lifetime" fuel filter seems counterintuitive. I'm not close to understanding how something can effectively filter out sediment and impurities and not evenually become restricted or even clogged.

Any idea how they do that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.