2001 escape cooling issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 13:55   #1 (permalink)

Question 2001 escape cooling issues

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help point me in the right direction.

Here's the issue. 2001 V6 Escape broke down on the road. The water pump belt broke and the upper radiator hose inlet pipe snapped off.

Here's what I've done:
  • Took out Radiator, took it to a shop and had it fixed.
  • Changed out water pump, as I suspected that was the culprit. Once I got it off I found it was definitely broken.
  • Replaced the thermostat.
  • Changed the water pump belt tensor since the pulley on it was plastic and it was pretty chewed up.
  • Replaced the water pump belt.
  • Refilled coolant through the expansion tank.
I crossed my fingers and turned it on, but the coolant does not seem to be circulating through the system at all. I turned on the heater inside and no hot air comes out. I felt all the radiator hoses and they don't seem to be getting warm and I don't feel any fluid moving in them.

The fluid in the expansion tank just sits there. If I jiggle the hose I can get a little bit to drop down but that's it. I rechecked all my work. I even took the thermostat out again just to make sure I didn't put it in wrong.

One more clue, the temp gauge on the dash does not move at all. However, it never moved since I've owned the escape (I know, shame on me for not getting it checked out sooner).

Any ideas?

Also, should I be filling the new coolant directly into the radiator somehow (no cap)?
galvatronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 18:17   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 escape cooling issues

How long do you let it run? The thermostat won't open until the engine gets to around 195 degrees and then the flow starts.
Old 03-12-2010, 21:36   #3 (permalink)

I don't think that you'll see coolant moving in the plastic as it only pulls coolant from it when needed to keep the system full.

Did you bleed the air from the system? Look at your owner's manual, there's a bleeded valve that must be opened, you add coolant till it starts to come out at the valve then close it and continue to fill the system till the cold level is reached in the plastic jug.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:53   #4 (permalink)

I did some more work on it yesterday. I checked everything again. I also replaced the coolant temperature sensor.

I filled the radiator tank through the upper radiator hose.

I turned on the engine and let it idle for about 5 minutes with a/c off. Then I turned on the a/c and within a minute the eninge sputtered and died. Then it wouldn't turn over after that.

I disconnected the battery to let it set over night to clear the PCM.

Maybe this is a computer issue?
galvatronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:21   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The PCM doesn't have anything to do with the engine cooling system except for sensing the temperature.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:05   #6 (permalink)

I really think you just need to bleed the air out. Have you taken off the hose to the heater core to see if its full? That's often the high point of the cooling system
classicjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum